New Orleans at Dallas

Real Deal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner
DALLAS -- Even without Jason Kidd in the lineup and Dirk Nowitzki having another bad shooting night, Dallas had no problem against the depleted New Orleans Hornets.

Vince Carter and Ian Mahinmi each had 13 points to lead six Mavericks in double figures in a 96-81 victory Saturday night for their fourth consecutive home victory.

"This is kind of the defining characteristic of this season," coach Rick Carlisle said. "Depth is king, energy trumps everything."

Nowitzki got in foul trouble early, with two in the first 4 minutes. He was only 2 of 11 from the field for 10 points in 30 minutes against the Hornets, who lost their sixth consecutive game.

"It's a win. When you're struggling like we are, the only thing you can take out of this is that it's a win," said Nowitzki, the MVP of last season's NBA Finals. "I've got to keep working. I'm not there yet. I had shots. I've got to make them."

Despite the winning streak at home, Dallas has had a couple of lopsided road losses during that same stretch. The Mavericks were coming off a 93-71 loss at San Antonio on Thursday night, when they made only 1 of 19 shots from 3-point range. Nowitzki went 3 for 11 and had just six points in that loss.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120107_NO@DAL