New Orleans at Denver

Real Deal

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner
Danilo Gallinari is encouraged by the Denver Nuggets' start to the season.

His recent play may also be playing a factor in that assessment.

Gallinari looks to build on one of the best scoring performances of his career as the Nuggets try to remain unbeaten at home in another meeting with the struggling New Orleans Hornets on Monday night.

Denver (6-3) is the highest scoring team in the Western Conference, averaging 104.0 points. The Nuggets have featured impressive balance, with six players averaging in double digits led by Gallinari's 16.9.

The Italian forward has scored at least 20 points in four of the last five games, averaging 20.6. He matched his career high with 31 points while hitting 10 of 16 shots - 3 for 4 from beyond the arc - in Saturday's 121-117 loss at San Antonio.

Although the Nuggets had their four-game winning streak snapped, Gallinari likes the team's potential after nearly erasing a 20-point deficit.

"We have the chance to have a really good team," he said. "When you can come back from 20 points against the Spurs, it means you are a really good team. We've just got to be more ready, more focused when we come out to start the game."

Gallinari and the Nuggets, however, needed to overcome a slow start against the Hornets (2-6) on Friday. The Nuggets gave up the first nine points before taking the lead for good in the fourth quarter, as Gallinari scored a game-high 23 points in a 96-88 win.

http://www.nba.com/games/20120109/NOHDEN/gameinfo.html

DENVER -- The New Orleans Hornets were happy to finally get another win.

Carl Landry scored 21 points, Chris Kaman added 20 and the Hornets ended a six-game losing streak with a 94-81 win over the Denver Nuggets on Monday night.

Marco Belinelli scored 19 and Jarrett Jack had 13 points and nine assists for the Hornets. New Orleans hadn't won since beating Boston on Dec. 28.

"It feels to get the monkey off your back," Landry said. "Losing six in a row is never easy, I don't care what sport it is."

The Hornets were struggling and missing key players Monday. Eric Gordon didn't make the trip and missed his seventh game with a bruised right knee. Trevor Ariza (groin strain) and Xavier Henry (sprained ankle) didn't dress.

Jack was questionable with a sprained right foot suffered against Dallas on Saturday but he played 35 minutes.

"I've been around him for five, six years and I've seen him miss only one game," New Orleans coach Monty Williams said. "He was in a car accident and he ran into a parked tractor trailer. He's a tough kid. We don't win this game without him."

Jack didn't think playing was special on his part.

"I didn't do it just to be on some Willis Reed stuff," he said. "People always told me your best ability is your availability. I just try to be there for my teammates. I felt like I would let them down if I didn't come out and at least give the effort."

Danilo Gallinari and Ty Lawson had 14 points each and Rudy Fernandez added 14 for Denver, which lost at home for the first time in five games.

Denver shot just 41 percent from the field, including 35 percent on 3-pointers.

"We couldn't get anything going, couldn't knock down shots, couldn't get any rhythm," Lawson said. "Coach said we were going to have three to five of these games a year. This was one of them."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120109_NO@DEN