Minnesota at Memphis

Real Deal

• 1 month later...
  • Owner
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Quincy Pondexter had nothing to show in his first opportunity to start for the injured Tony Allen.

His second chance resulted in the best scoring night of his career.

Pondexter recorded a career-best 17 points and provided an early burst as the Memphis Grizzlies snapped a three-game losing streak with an 85-80 victory against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday night.

"It's seizing the opportunity," said Pondexter, in his second season out of Washington. "I've been blessed enough to be given this position with Tony being out."

Pondexter went scoreless when Lionel Hollins gave him his first start against San Antonio on Monday night -- a performance he described as "a nothing game for me." He was happy to rebound two nights later.

"Coach believed in me enough to do it," Pondexter said. "He could have given it to a lot of other players. For some reason, he believed in me, and I can't let him down."

Rudy Gay had 19 points and nine rebounds to lead Memphis. Marc Gasol and Dante Cunningham scored 12 apiece, and O.J. Mayo finished with 10 for Memphis despite connecting on only three of 11 shots as the Grizzlies shot just 37 percent overall.

J.J. Barea led the Timberwolves with 17 points and six assists, while Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley had 13 points each. Williams also grabbed a career-high nine rebounds. Nikola Pekovic had 10 points and nine rebounds.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120208_MIN@MEM