Denver at San Antonio

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
After a rare home loss in their first game after the All-Star break, the San Antonio Spurs bounced back thanks to their defense.

It's been their offense that's shined recently against the Denver Nuggets.

The Spurs have averaged nearly 112 points in winning seven of eight against the Nuggets, and they may get an additional boost Sunday night at the AT&T Center if Manu Ginobili returns from a five-game absence.

San Antonio suffered just its second home loss Wednesday, falling 96-89 to Chicago as Tony Parker described his team as "rusty" after five days off.

It recovered Friday, holding woeful Charlotte to 37.3 percent shooting and riding a 55-37 rebounding edge to a 102-72 victory. To Richard Jefferson, one of four Spurs to score at least 14 points, the key was simple.

"Good team defense," said Jefferson, who's 11 of 15 from 3-point range in his last three games. "Great team defense."

San Antonio (25-11) has allowed 86.8 points per game in its last nine at home and has only surrendered 100 once at the AT&T Center this season.

That came Jan. 7 against the Nuggets (20-17), who shot 56.8 percent and scored the most points by a Spurs visitor in regulation in more than two years. San Antonio, however, was even better, putting seven players in double figures - led by Danny Green's 24 - in a 121-117 victory.

The Spurs have shot 50.1 percent and averaged 111.8 points while going 7-1 in the series since Feb. 11, 2010. After Green was the unlikely leading scorer in the home win two months ago, it was DeJuan Blair's 28 points and 12 boards that paced San Antonio in a 114-99 victory Feb. 23 in Denver.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/preview/NBA_20120304_DEN@SA

Going to miss this game (I'm in Hawaii). This will be the first game I've missed in 3 years.....

Anyway Manu should be back this game. I'm just praying he can stay healthy and return to form pre "1st" injury. If Ginobili can Get back in game shape these Spurs are going to be solid.

Anyone know if Nene is going to play? Last game against SA he was out...

17 seconds into the game Blair bangs knees with Mozgov and was on the floor for about a minute.

He got up on his own and walked to the bench, so it doesn't look like anything serious. With his history of knee problems, it probably was a bit of a scare for the Spurs.

Blair is heading to the locker room now, though. He didn't appear to be limping or anything like that so I imagine he will be back.

Lawson with a dagger from 20 feet to put the Nuggets up by 3 with 11 seconds left after a Duncan dunk to cut the lead to just 1.

This game really shouldn't even be this close, though, if not for some horrific shooting by Andre Miller. I think he is 1/9 in the quarter or something attrocious like that.

EDIT: Neal misses a 3 to tie, but you couldn't ask for a better look. A fantastic play drawn up by Pop there.

• Owner

This game really shouldn't even be this close, though, if not for some horrific shooting by Andre Miller. I think he is 1/9 in the quarter or something attrocious like that.

Miller should not have taken nine shots in the game, let alone in the quarter. I have no idea why the Nuggets kept feeding him the ball like that. Maybe Karl believed that attacking a returning (but somewhat rusty) Manu was the key to winning this game? I thought he was going to do that with Afflalo, but after that first quarter, AA disappeared.

Faried is a beast, by the way. Got sick of hearing the Dennis Rodman comparison (since it was stated about five times throughout the game), but it's fun watching him play with so much energy.