Utah at Charlotte

Real Deal

• 2 months later...
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Al Jefferson thinks he's finally figured out the NBA game.

"Hey, it's taken me eight years to realize that if I pass the ball outside and guys hit open shots, it helps free me up," Jefferson. "I guess better late than never."

Jefferson, the focal point of Utah's offense, had 31 points and nine rebounds as the Jazz defeated the Charlotte Bobcats 99-93 on Wednesday night.

The Jazz controlled the paint - outscoring the Bobcats 54-36 and outrebounding them 43-34.

Jefferson was 11 of 19 from the field and hit all but one of his 10 foul shots in a dominating performance inside.

Paul Millsap scored 16 points while Derrick Favors added 14 points for the Jazz, who won their second straight on the road. The victory helped pull the Jazz back to .500 at 19-19.

"Al was doing a good job of passing the ball tonight," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "We need to touch that thing inside before we take our jump shots. That's who we are. We go through him and need him to make the right plays. ... We know if they come and double him we want to make sure we space the floor and make the right plays."

Leading by four at halftime, the Jazz began pounding away at the Bobcats, taking advantage of Jefferson's experience against Charlotte's rookie center Bismack Biyombo.

Jefferson seemed to toy with Biyombo at times, palming the ball with one hand before making almost uncontestable moves in the low post. He continually got Biyombo to go after ball fakes and eventually the rookie fouled out.

"He times his shot to where I don't know when he's shooting," Biyombo said. "You have to play smarter and learn not to get in foul trouble. It still happens sometimes. But you have to learn from it."

As the Bobcats made adjustments and began rolling help to Biyombo's side, Jefferson simply dished outside to teammates like Raja Bell, who knocked down a pair of jumpers to give the Jazz a 65-50 advantage in the third quarter.

Jefferson led the Jazz with five assists.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/gametracker/recap/NBA_20120307_UTA@CHA