Florida No. 1 in coaches' poll

The Goods

Defending national champion Florida tops the USA Today preseason football coaches' poll, receiving 53 of 59 first-place votes.

Texas was second in the poll released Friday, followed by Oklahoma, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Penn State, LSU and Mississippi.

Texas had four first-place votes, and Oklahoma and USC each had one.

LSU, Virginia Tech and Mississippi are the new names in the coaches' top 10, replacing Oregon and TCU from last season's final poll. Virginia Tech finished last season at No. 14; Mississippi ended last season 15th; and LSU was not ranked.

Oklahoma State was ranked 11th in the preseason poll, followed by California, Georgia, Oregon, Georgia Tech, Boise State, TCU, Utah, Florida State and North Carolina.

Iowa, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Brigham Young and Oregon State rounded out the top 25.

If the rankings hold steady, a number of clashes between teams in the top 10 loom ahead.

The first could come early, when No. 6 Ohio State hosts No. 4 USC on Sept. 12, a game which will be seen on ESPN. The Buckeyes also travel to No. 8 Penn State on Nov. 7.

The No. 1 Gators, seeking a back-to-back title and an undefeated season, face one of their toughest tests when they travel to No. 9 LSU on Oct. 10. Florida also faces No. 13 Georgia on Oct. 31. But the Gators will not play No. 10 Mississippi, who pulled off a stunning upset at Gainesville last season, or No. 5 Alabama during the regular season this year.

No. 2 Texas and No. 3 Oklahoma will play their annual Red River Rivalry game on Oct. 17 at the Cotton Bowl.

The SEC led the top 25 with five teams, with four in the top 10 and Georgia at No. 13.

The Big 12, ACC and Pac-10 each had four teams in the poll, and the Big Ten and Mountain West each had three.

Boise State of the WAC, at No. 16, was the highest-ranked non-BCS school in the top 25.

The USA Today Top 25 is voted on by a panel of 59 coaches in the Bowl Championship Subdivision, formerly known as Division I-A.

The Associated Press preseason Top 25 will be released Aug. 22.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4382938

:lol: I hate how Norte Dame is always there. They beat Hawaii and won a bowl for the first time in 10 [expletive]ing years and people think they are actually going to be good. God I hate them so much.

Also I'm willing to bet that Ole Miss will have an underachieving season. When Houston Nutt has expectations, he blows it.