Chargers QB Rivers wants Eli Manning's contract (or more)

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_rumors__35/ept_sports_rumors-755794538-1249651488_thumb.jpg?ymg8bsBD5pao8GuA

Chargers QB Rivers wants Eli Manning's contract (or more)

The New York Giants are about to sign quarterback Eli Manning(notes) to a deal that could get him $106.9 million in the next seven years. Not too shabby for 28-year-old guy with a marketing degree in a recession.

Now it appears the San Diego Chargers and quarterback Philip Rivers(notes) are getting ready to start contract-renegotiation talks. Word is that the two sides have been waiting for Manning's contract to be a done deal so there is a financial line in the sand for the two sides to push and shove each other over, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. Rivers and his reps will say he is worth Manning kind of money (or more) while the Chargers will say Rivers hasn't won them any Super Bowls.

And both sides will still just absolutely love the other when all the dust settles many months from now.

---

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/05/bn05charnotes-rivers-chargers/?chargers

If he were to get more or even as much money as Eli I would be pissed (i am a chargers fan), yeah he has played well for us but not good enough to make [expletive]ing 100 million in 6 years.

He should just stfu amd play this year and prove to everyone that he is worth it.

Explain.

I don't think McNabb deserves a 100 million dollar contract he has been injured alot and has no ring on his finger. The way I see it Superbowl winning and still productive QB's deserve 100 million dollars contract not people who got there once and could not get it done. He is good and deserves a good contract but definitely should not be in the same sentence and the Manning's, Brady, and Big Ben. On the other hand I do still also believe that he should get a little bit more money than Rivers, Romo, and Palmer.

I don't think McNabb deserves a 100 million dollar contract he has been injured alot and has no ring on his finger. The way I see it Superbowl winning and still productive QB's deserve 100 million dollars contract not people who got there once and could not get it done. He is good and deserves a good contract but definitely should not be in the same sentence and the Manning's, Brady, and Big Ben. On the other hand I do still also believe that he should get a little bit more money than Rivers, Romo, and Palmer.

you cant just judge how much a QB should make ONLY by superbowl appearances. it takes more then just a QB to get to the superbowl, it is a team effort and has more to do with defense then it does with the QB.

playoff experience is a factor, but you cant say that a QB doesnt deserve a big contract because he hasnt been to a superbowl or hasnt won one. and it is the same for the opposite.

does brad johnson (a few years ago) deserve more money then mcnabb? johnson won a superbowl, mcnabb has no ring

you cant just judge how much a QB should make ONLY by superbowl appearances. it takes more then just a QB to get to the superbowl, it is a team effort and has more to do with defense then it does with the QB.

playoff experience is a factor, but you cant say that a QB doesnt deserve a big contract because he hasnt been to a superbowl or hasnt won one. and it is the same for the opposite.

does brad johnson (a few years ago) deserve more money then mcnabb? johnson won a superbowl, mcnabb has no ring

Yes i get that but i do think that is the difference between a 100 million dollar contaract and a 80 million dollar contract.

Playoff experience is a factor but I think the goes away for McNabb because he has been injured so much, another reason he does not deserve a 100 million dollar contract.

lol no because he was like 35 years old that time and if a team give a 100 million dollar contract to a guy of that age they are completely stupid. Right now McNabb is like 30+ years old if the Eagles gave him a 50 million dollar contract they would be stupid.

Phillip Rivers is a better QB than him, and arguably should have won the NFL "MVP" last season, but whatever.

Anyways, Eli Manning has to [expletive] everything up and screw up the market.

So should Eli just say, "No, I don't want $100 million, please give me $30 million."

So should Eli just say, "No, I don't want $100 million, please give me $30 million."

Well, Tom Brady did exactly that without the same numbers, but I wouldn't expect that from Eli Manning.

Anyways, the New York Giants should not have caved in and given him that contract.

QB's are going to be getting absolutely ridiculous contracts now.

Well, Tom Brady did exactly that without the same numbers, but I wouldn't expect that from Eli Manning.

Anyways, the New York Giants should not have caved in and given him that contract.

QB's are going to be getting absolutely ridiculous contracts now.

Honestly its not Eli's fault. Who in their right mind would turn down money? For the sake of the team? [expletive] that [expletive]. Get yours.

I blame the Giants for giving him such a ridiculous contract.

Honestly its not Eli's fault. Who in their right mind would turn down money? For the sake of the team? [expletive] that [expletive]. Get yours.

I blame the Giants for giving him such a ridiculous contract.

I'm not saying he should have turned it down, but it is going to mess up the market.

Do I think he deserves that much money?

I'm 50/50 on it right now.

However, there is no doubt that a lot of QB's are going to be asking for more than Eli Manning.