Underestimating the Rockets

Most people don't expect them to make the playoffs, but I think they are way better than they are made to be.

If I recall, they were 3-10 at one point, and still finished 43-39 last year

Thats 40-29 after that horrible beginning stretch, I honestly think we have a much improved team now and could easily be 44-22 after this season ends.

Edited by Come at me bro

I can't recall the exact record but I do remember that we had one of the BEST records since the All-Star break last season. I think we slightly improved our team since last season, the Dalembert-Hayes "trade" was an improvement since we desperately needed a shotblocker (Hayes is a shutdown post defender though but we have Patterson to do that now) and it seems some of our youngins got better over the offseason (T-Will, Jordan Hill) and lets not forget the emergence of Kyle Lowry. (he actually broke out late last season but we'll have this "new" Kyle Lowry for a full year). I think we got what it takes to make it as a 7th or 8th seed.

Can't count out Morey making a trade either, always seems to make at least one big one before the deadline.

I can't recall the exact record but I do remember that we had one of the BEST records since the All-Star break last season. I think we slightly improved our team since last season, the Dalembert-Hayes "trade" was an improvement since we desperately needed a shotblocker (Hayes is a shutdown post defender though but we have Patterson to do that now) and it seems some of our youngins got better over the offseason (T-Will, Jordan Hill) and lets not forget the emergence of Kyle Lowry. (he actually broke out late last season but we'll have this "new" Kyle Lowry for a full year). I think we got what it takes to make it as a 7th or 8th seed.

Can't count out Morey making a trade either, always seems to make at least one big one before the deadline.

7th or 8th seed? I highly disagree, we can definitely challenge for the first 5-6 spots. A lot of teams have become a bit more weak, the Spurs, Lakers, Mavs, Grizzlies, Utah, and Phoenix have definitely downgraded. The Clippers also aren't as good as they are made out to be.

Rockets can definitely play with the best.

7th or 8th seed? I highly disagree, we can definitely challenge for the first 5-6 spots. A lot of teams have become a bit more weak, the Spurs, Lakers, Mavs, Grizzlies, Utah, and Phoenix have definitely downgraded. The Clippers also aren't as good as they are made out to be.

Rockets can definitely play with the best.

We can compete with the best of them but I can't picture the Rockets as-is getting any higher than the 7th seed (maybe 6th) barring any significant trade. A lot of teams downgraded but that doesn't mean that they are still any worse than the Rockets and don't forget a good amount of non-playoff teams from last season have improved (Warriors, Kings, Clippers and even the Timberwolves).

That said, I think we're going to surprise a lot of people later in this condensed schedule when teams have to rely on their depth, which we have a lot of (and they're all young too).

Edit: I also wanted to say that its great that we get this back-to-back-to-back out of the way after a two day break (we didn't play in opening night either) and this early in the season when we have fresh legs.

Edited by Dash

• 2 weeks later...
  • Owner

So according to Hollinger, the Rockets have had the toughest schedule in the NBA so far. Just something to chew on.

Yeah, you really don't need anyone to tell you guys that, either. I just looked at who you've played...OKC twice, Lakers, Clippers, Spurs, Hawks, Magic, Grizzlies.

The game tonight (Bobcats)...I would've picked Houston, since Charlotte really has no identity yet. I figured you guys would win that Memphis game, but if I recall correctly, that was the one where Pargo and Pondexter were playing like they wanted to be permanent starters, and Josh Selby wasn't so bad, either. Hard to really counter something like that, and still have to defend Randolph and Gasol in the post.

Yeah besides the Clippers game where we were just flat out destroyed, we looked alright and managed to keep most of those games close. Unfortunately for us those teams have superstars while we don't and we were unable to finish out on top.

• 4 weeks later...

15-11 with the 4th seed in the West after winning on the road against Portland. I'd say things are looking up but then Lowry got hurt.

Edited by Dash