Solomon Alabi Back to D-League

RaptorsPR RaptorsPR

#Raptors assign Solomon Alabi to Bakersfield Jam of NBA D-League. Expected to join Jam for tonight's game at LA Defenders.

I just don't see him ever actually being an NBA player. At this point it seems more likely that he will be out of the league after his current contract than him ever actually cracking an NBA lineup.

I hope I am wrong and he shows something, anything, that would make me think otherwise but I just don't see it.

And to think, I was actually excited when the Raptors drafted him and thought he would be a solid defensive center. :lol:

I remember early in the draft process a lot of people had him going in the lottery (or around there) and the Rockets were apparently a viable option for him. Anyways I think its too early to give up on Alabi, during the workouts every scout pretty much said you have to be patient with him. I remember one report saying that it could take 3-4 years before Alabi is properly developed into an NBA player.

If he shows some potential during his stint with the Jam this year then it might be worth taking a flyer on him for another season.

I remember early in the draft process a lot of people had him going in the lottery (or around there) and the Rockets were apparently a viable option for him. Anyways I think its too early to give up on Alabi, during the workouts every scout pretty much said you have to be patient with him. I remember one report saying that it could take 3-4 years before Alabi is properly developed into an NBA player.

If he shows some potential during his stint with the Jam this year then it might be worth taking a flyer on him for another season.

Yeah, I get that he was considered a product and would take at least 2-3 years before even having the potential of contributing to a team, but I just don't see anything in him, other than him being 7'2, that suggests he is going to be able to play at this level. He is completely robotic in his movements, he is unathletic, he struggles keeping up with the game, doesn't have a very good touch, etc...

Some of these are things that can improve on with time and experience, I get that, but with these raw players you also see flashes here and there where you see that he does have something in him and I've yet to really see anything in Alabi that makes me believe he has potential.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to give up on him or anything like that. With the position the Raptors are in they might as well try to see if you have something in him. I was just making an observation that, in my opinion, he doesn't really have a future in the NBA. I hope I am wrong because he seems like a good guy from the interviews that I've read/seen from him and he hwas went through quite a bit in his life.

In his games so far he has put up:

10 points, 13 rebounds (7 offensive) and 1 block on 4-11 shooting in 22 minutes

10 points, 15 rebounds and 2 blocks on 5-12 shooting in 28 minutes

22 points, 9 rebounds and 4 blocks on 9-14 shooting in 32 minutes

which averages out to:

14 ppg, 12.3 rpg, 2.3 bpg on 48.6% in 27.3 minutes

If the season turns out to be a bad one I really think that the Raptors should play him and really see what we’ve got with him but that would be towards the end of the season. There is so much that he can improve while in the D league but playing is always a good deal for any young player.