Love Declares Himself Best Power Forward; Won't Commit to Signing With Wolves

“I believe I'm the best '4' in the league,” he said. “I think you have to believe that you're the best. I think Mohammad Ali even said, 'I was the greatest before I knew I was.' I think everybody needs to have that mindset. That's part of winning the mind game from the very start. You have to believe it. You have to hold yourself accountable."

Love, 23, also touched on the possibility of the Wolves offering a maximum contract that would pay him as much as $80 million over five years.

“I don't know,” he said. “I don't know the answer to that at this point. It's all in my agent's (Jeff Schwartz) hands. People can speculate and say what they want, but I will just go out there, play basketball, and help this team win.”

While he wouldn't commit to signing an extension if the opportunity presented itself, Love also didn't rule out staying in Minnesota.

“I just don't know what I am going to do,” he said. “I'm happy to be a Timberwolf at this point and happy we're winning games.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218129/Love_Declares_Himself_Best_Power_Forward_Wont_Commit_To_Signing_Max_Deal_With_Wolves

• Like 1

I had this conversation with a friend last night. I feel like Love is benefiting from being a good player on a shitty team so he sticks out more. Idk if I'd call him the best PF in the league.

He's not, but at least he doesn't lack confidence.

Honestly, he's already surpassed what I thought he'd be in the league. I thought he'd be a 15/10 player.

That said, even though he's putting up great stats, it's almost as if they're empty numbers because his floor impact doesn't match his stats. Love is a good talent, but I don't think you build a team around him. It's like Shawn Marion in his prime, he'll fill the box score, make all-star teams, and get paid MAX money, but on a championship team he's at best a third option.

Right now, he is the best PF in basketball, and it's really not even close.

There was good reason to believe he wasn't a max contract last season, but there's absolutely no doubt that he deserves it if he maintains his level of play this year.

This season, he's been the best PF. He's been scoring insanely efficiently and doing so at impressive volume, and his rebounding once again has been impeccable. Dirk and Amare have been off to begin the year, while Bosh is buried beneath LeBron and Wade's talents. That leaves Blake and Aldridge. Blake is still adjusting to a brand new team, and while he's been sensational, he hasn't quite matched what Love has done. Aldridge is playing fantastically as well, but hasn't quite been what Love has been so far either.

With all that said, overall, Love's stats are a tad bit deceiving. He has two dominant facets of his game...offensive rebounding and 3pt shooting at the PF position. He can always make a big impact because of those two areas, but he is not a great iso scorer, and that hurts him when comparing him to guys like Dirk. Yes, he dominates in other areas moreso than Dirk, but Dirk has showed consistently over the last decade, regardless what team is built around him, just how dominant and impactful and iso scorer is, and how that opens up the floor for the rest of the team. In a ranking list, I'd still put Dirk definitely over Love, and probably Blake (can make a case for Amare and Aldridge, too).