Andre Drummond will return for sophomore season

Dash

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Despite being projected as a lottery pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, UConn freshman Andre Drummond said he plans to return for his sophomore season.

“As of right now, I know I’ll be back,” he told SNY.tv exclusively following No. 8 UConn’s 67-60 loss to Rutgers Saturday. “That’s all I could tell you, I’ll be back.”

Even if you’re a Top 5 pick?

“Yeah, I’ll be back,” added the 6-foot-11 Drummond, who tallied 10 points, 12 rebounds, seven turnovers, two blocks and one highlight-reel dunk in which he took off eight feet from the basket and flushed it.

Eight NBA scouts were at the game, including Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak and Charlotte Bobcats GM Rich Cho.

Still, Drummond said he wants to continue to develop under head coach Jim Calhoun, who has produced a long line of NBA big men, from Emeka Okafor to Jeff Adrien.

“Playing under Jim Calhoun’s wing, it’s going to be great,” Drummond said. “I’m trying to be here just to be a great basketball player and get better as a person and he’s the guy to do it.”

Drummond could, of course, change his mind after the season ends but for now he says he won’t.

“No, I’m just going,” he said. “I’m just playing my basketball right now. I’m not really thinking about the future. I’m just trying to win a national championship and a Big East championship.”

Drummond is playing this year as a walk-on after Michael Bradley offered to give him his scholarship once Drummond joined the team in August.

“I was paying for school since I came,” Drummond said. “And he offered to give it to me, I told him ‘No’ but nobody ever knew about it.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/07/drummond-says-he-plans-to-return-for-sophomore-season/

There is still plenty of time for him to change his mind but if he opts to return for a second season then this is a HUGE blow to this year's draft, Drummond was supposed to be the best center prospect we've seen in quite a while.

"As of right now" is the key. Wait till they make a run at a title this year and that'll change his mind real quick. If he has even a decent tournament he's going first overall.

Anthony Davis is going #1.

Not sure why this question is even brought up this early in the year, obviously he's going to say he's staying.. Calhoun players have always been this way, let's come back to this topic in a few months.

No chance a team takes Anthony Davis over Drummond. Davis has bust written all over him IMO. He can't add much weight to an already rail thin frame and his offensive game isn't that good. Drummond is still growing which is scary to think about. He's a no brainer at this point.

No chance a team takes Anthony Davis over Drummond. Davis has bust written all over him IMO. He can't add much weight to an already rail thin frame and his offensive game isn't that good. Drummond is still growing which is scary to think about. He's a no brainer at this point.

There is definitely a chance, a very good one at that.

Basically everybody from Ford, Givony, Mockdraft.net, Thorpe, Fracshilla, etc... have Davis going number 1.

It is by no means a lock because there is still a lot of the college season left, but Drummond has been far from impressive and a lot of scouts have questions about his motor, passion for the game, effort level, etc... It would not surprise me in the least if Davis is taken over Drummond, should both of them declare.