Who Does Bargnani Think He Is? Dirk?

We’re talking about 23.0 PPG on .517 from the floor, 6.3 rebounds, 2.6 assists, and maybe only 0.5 steals and 0.6 blocks, but also only 1.9 turnovers, with an advanced stats .612 TS% and 14.2 AST% on a 28.2% usage rate good for .213 win shares per-48 minutes.

Wait. That was Dirk last year. Let’s try that again, shall we?

He’s made 71% on 2.4 field goal attempts at the rim, 49% on 3.6 attempts from 10-15 feet, 52% on 6.3 from 16-23, and an eFG% of 59% on 2.3 3-point attempts.

Dammit. Dirk’s numbers from last year again. This is baffling…

Bargnani this year, 22.8 PPG .523 from the floor, 6.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 0.4 steals and 0.8 blocks with 2.0 turnovers, and going advanced once again, a .610 TS%, 14.3 AST% rate with a 28.3% usage rate and a career high .183 win shares per-48 minutes.

Via HoopData, 76% field goals at the rim on 3.6 attempts, 52% on 2.9 attempts from 10-15 feet, 54% on 4.9 from 16-23, and an eFG% of 56% on 3.4 3-point attempts a game.

Easy to see how I got my numbers crossed now, isn’t it? It’s like these two offensive games are brothers from another mother.

http://www.hardwoodparoxysm.com/2012/01/who-does-andrea-bargnani-think-he-is-dirk/

Casey really has done a wonderful job of getting Bargnani to play up to his potential and his play through the first 9 games has been nothing short of spectacular for the Raptors. He has led them to a game under .500 when many expected them to be one of the worst teams in the league this season, myself included in that. He has been playing the best offense of his entire career, as evident by his awesome efficiency and he has also been playing the best defense of his career, which isn't saying much, but he has not looked like a complete liability out there. In fact, you can argue that he has actually looked solid in terms of man defense and slightly below average in terms of help defense.

The question is, can he keep up this level of play when we get into the middle part of the season when fatigue begins to kick in or if the Raptors fall out of the playoff picture and there isn't as much to play for?

Call me a homer, but as of right now you can make the argument that he has been the best power forward in the Eastern Conference to start off the season. I don't expect him to continue to play at that kind of level, but it is very, very encouraging to see how well he has played to start the year.

This is what I have been hoping for! He has been playing great, and even has improved his d. He is taking it to the basket more often and fully understands now that he is what the team relies on. He hasn't taken too many bad shots like last year, and he just keeps fighting. I am more then happy of what I have seen so far this season and if he keeps it up, I really hope he gets selected for the allstar game.

Question:

1) How does this affect the Raptors rebuilding plans? The Raptors are currently 4-5 and will likely be 5-5 later tonight after playing the Wizards. As someone who also roots for a fringe playoff team and I do love the what Casey has done with this team (wish we hired him over McHale but McHale has been okay so far), but is this really the direction the Raptors should be heading?

2) Should the Raptors sell high on Andrea Bargnani or do they keep them?

Dash asked what I was going to ask, lol. Bargnani playing like this is awesome, but it throws a complete wrench into the Raptors tanking plans. If he keeps his play up like this all season, and the Raps make the playoffs, Bargs could even be in the running for a MVP candidate (long, long shot, but you never know).

Dash asked what I was going to ask, lol. Bargnani playing like this is awesome, but it throws a complete wrench into the Raptors tanking plans. If he keeps his play up like this all season, and the Raps make the playoffs, Bargs could even be in the running for a MVP candidate (long, long shot, but you never know).

I say if possible we trade him for the highest offer if he keeps up this stellar play. And if we don't get any great offers then we keep him and try to work him into the rebuild. Only problem I see is that a lot of the top players in the draft this year are PF's, and if we end up with the #1-3 pick and we pick Drummond or Anthony Davis then we have Bargnani, Ed Davis, Amir (also plays center though) and Davis/Drum. Someone would have to go, and i'd be most interested in trading Barg. Drummond or Anthony Davis are more the kind of PF I want to build my team around.

Question:

1) How does this affect the Raptors rebuilding plans? The Raptors are currently 4-5 and will likely be 5-5 later tonight after playing the Wizards. As someone who also roots for a fringe playoff team and I do love the what Casey has done with this team (wish we hired him over McHale but McHale has been okay so far), but is this really the direction the Raptors should be heading?

I don't think it changes things at all.

Despite what I or other fans say, the Raptors aren't actually out there tanking, nor were they last year (at least, for 95% of the season). They go out there and try desperately to win the game but they simply don't have the talent or depth to actually come away with victories or close games out. The games against the Magic and the Mavs earlier this season were classic examples of that. They got a big lead by completely riding their best players, Bargnani in particular, but when the 4th quarter came and they had already played basically the entire game, they didn't have as much jump and it allowed the opposition to go on a run and, eventually, win the game. The same thing almost happened in the Knicks game but they simply couldn't come all the way back because they don't have much depth either, and didn't have Amar'e in the lineup.

They may not end up getting a top 3 pick like I had expected/hoped, but by the end of the season I am fairly confident that the Raptors will, at the very least, end up with a top 7 pick in the draft. They can only ride Bargnani for 40+ minutes a night for so long before he inevitably starts to slow down.

If they end up sneaking into the playoffs it wouldn't be terrible. Although I'd rather have a top draft pick, if they do sneak into the postseason it is likely because Bargnani was able to maintain this level of play for the entire season and at least 2 or 3 of DeRozan, Davis, Johnson, Johnson and Bayless exceeded expectations and the Raptors have better players than what they originally thought.

What would be a bad situation is if the Raptors are in the playoff hunt and make a move to acquire veterans to sneak into the playoffs, but I have faith that Colangelo won't do that.

At the end of the day I still believe that the Raptors will fall back to earth and by seasons end they will be closer to the bottom of the league than the middle of the pack.

2) Should the Raptors sell high on Andrea Bargnani or do they keep them?

Depends on the types of offers. If you get an offer you can't refuse (ie a star wing or PG) you probably take it since you do have Johnson and Davis as well as Valanciunas coming over next season.

However, I would not be opposed to keeping him if he plays like this. If he plays like this consistently and Valanciunas is able to become a Tyson Chandler or Joakim Noah like player, which many people are projecting him to be, you are suddenly looking at one of the most potent front courts in the league who compliment each other perfectly.

Personally, I'd probably keep him unless somebody drastically overpays for him. I think you can easily contend for a championship with him as your starting power forward, assuming Valanciunas becomes the player he is expected to be and you make smart decisions with the rest of the lineup.

Just reading some stats quickly and I understand it has only been 10 games. But in those 10 games out of the top 10 scorers, he is 8th league in scoring, with the 3rd highest FG% behind James and Griffin, he takes the 2nd least amount of shots behind D.Rose, 5th in 3PT% and is 2nd in FT%.

Oh god, imagine if he kept this up.

From Hollinger's list of surprise players:

Andrea Bargnani: Il Mago always could score -- even last season, he averaged a scintillating 24.0 points per 40 minutes while disappointing in virtually every other phase. What has stood out this season is that he's doing every thing a little better -- rebounding, passing, shooting -- and the visual is that there's more of an attacking mentality and a confidence to everything he's doing. It's easier to envision that, of course, when the ball is going in. Bargnani's 51.5 percent shooting from the floor is unlikely to stay this elevated for long, though.

But there's another reason to put Bargnani on this list: It appears he's actually trying on defense. It's early, and I don't want to get carried away, but the standout feature when I've watched Toronto is the lack of glaring breakdowns that used to be a nightly treat. I've yet to see an opponent score while Bargnani stood 3 feet away with his back to the play, for instance. Baby steps, I know, but it appears Dwane Casey's defensive message is getting through. In the meantime, his 23.53 PER is miles ahead of his previous career bests, and at age 26, it appears he's finally realizing the potential Toronto saw when it drafted him six years ago.

If Bargnani can continue to play at something close to a Dirk type level then this team will not be a bottom dweller this year.

Regardless of how well Andrea plays the talent around him isn’t as good. At the end of the day point guards, shooting guards and small forwards always have greater impact in the game. A lot of teams in the NBA seem to be much more talented at those positions unlike the Raptors. Teams will sag on Andrea and take away options that have made Andrea so successful thus far. All I’m saying is if our guards don’t improve their game it will make it twice as hard for Andrea to continue at this level that he is at right now.

• 2 weeks later...