Tim Duncan passes Larry Bird

Finch23

I'm on my phone and cant find the proper link to post, but last night Tim Duncan passed the great Larry Bird on the all time scoring list (which puts Duncan 27th all time). Duncan has never been a flashy scorer but has been extremely efficient for his career. To pass a legend like Larry is a pretty big accomplishment, congrats Timmy.

We all know that Timmy is not near the player he once was, but he has such a tremendous IQ that it allows him to make up for what he lacks in athleticism. During yesterday's game the Rockets announcers asked Duncan when he is going to hang him up and he replied "the way Pop plays me now I can continue on for a good 3-4 years." Timmy is still a damn good big and while he isn't the same on offense, he still plays exceptional defense and if he takes less money (which I'm sure he will) I look forward to watching him move up the all time list for the next 3 years.

• Owner

Timmy D is one of the smartest players I've ever watched in the NBA.

I wouldn't say he's a better scorer than Larry Bird, despite the achievement (two different things, reaching a milestone doesn't necessarily mean you're better at something, too many factors to consider), but he deserves all the recognition he will ever get for his play.

I still see Tim Duncan as the best power forward to ever play in the NBA. Like you guys mentioned, his IQ is very high which is what led to him being able to get this high in scoring. He is a great defender, and an underrated passer too. I agree with Brandon, he is not a better scorer than Larry Bird, but with the way that he has played in his career, it's believable that he passed Bird on the list.