After winning ring in Dallas, Stevenson turns attention to future of Nets

Teletopez

“I see the big picture. Hopefully we get Dwight here. D-Will can stay here,” he said. “I think if we get a couple pieces here, we’ll be good. I think Avery sees the big picture, I think everybody sees the big picture. We just have to get over this hump where we’re at right now. ...All that’s a big if, but if we do get good pieces, I’ll think we’ll be a good team.”

Stevenson is one of 10 Nets who can be free agents after the season, and you’d figure it's tough to sell a future on players that aren't going to be around to see it. In many ways, the Nets are a lameduck team playing in a lameduck arena. It also doesn't help that a trade for Howard fizzled at the last minute because Orlando ownership pulled back, leaving the Nets with a trade cloud hovering over another season.

But Stevenson, moreso than any other veteran, has embraced the situation. It has changed his mind about staying long term.

“I’ve made a chunk of change. I’ve done a lot of things. Me, right now, I’ve never said it, but being a veteran right now, I just see the big picture. …It took me being on certain teams and being around other veteran players for me to come like that,” he said. “What motivates me is a guy like D-Will. D-Will wants to win.”

“When I signed, no (I didn’t see myself wanting to re-sign). But after playing on the team and being with D-Will and playing with the guys, I would like to come back and kind of be like a veteran leader. I’ve won a championship, and I can do different things now like help MarShon.”

Stefan Bondy