Wade's Decline: How Much Longer Does He Have Left?

Built Ford Tough

With Wade turning 30 yesterday, his fairly extensive injury past and his balls to the wall style of play, how much longer do you think he will be able to stay at the top of his game?

A lot of his game is based on his explsoiveness, quickness and ability to absorb contact. That isn't to say that he is weak fundamentally or anything like that but he does rely a lot on his superior athleticism in order to play at his best similar to the way that a prime Allen Iverson played (in terms of quickness and ability to absorb contact).

Other highly athletic swing men with a history of injuries saw their decline come a few years after their 30's:

Allen Iverson - 33 years old

Vince Carter - 33 years old

Tracy McGrady - 29 years old (although his injuries were more serious than the other players here)

Is Wade on a similar career trojectory as a player like Carter or Iverson? Or do you think he will still be able to play at an elite level into his mid 30's despite his declining athleticism and fairly extensive injury past? How much longer will Wade be able to play at an elite level?

At the level he's been playing on the last 2-3 years? Probably another year or two. I do think, however, that his IQ and versatlity is sometimes overlooked. Yes, he is not a great jumpshooter, but he has developed a tremendous post-game for a SG, and as he gets older I suspect he will go to that more often. He'll still be able to get to the rim with deception and handles, though obviously his ability to finish will diminish as he ages. His defensive awareness will still be very good, as will his ability to hit open players and rebound the basketball.

Overall, I can see him playing at an all-star level until about 34ish, and a superstar level until about 32.

All Heat fans are realizing this even though we tried to pretend this day would never come but you're already starting to see it just a little bit. However, this is going to be made a lot easier to handle because LeBron and Bosh are here so he won't have to have such a huge load on his shoulders.

All Heat fans are realizing this even though we tried to pretend this day would never come but you're already starting to see it just a little bit. However, this is going to be made a lot easier to handle because LeBron and Bosh are here so he won't have to have such a huge load on his shoulders.

As a Heat fan who watches him more than probably any other poster on this forum, how much longer do you think he has left at an elite level? Do you agree with Nitro's assessment?

I think everybody can see that he is starting to show signs of a it, like you touched upon.

As a Heat fan who watches him more than probably any other poster on this forum, how much longer do you think he has left at an elite level? Do you agree with Nitro's assessment?

I think everybody can see that he is starting to show signs of a it, like you touched upon.

I'd say 2 years max as arguably the best SG in the league. His style just doesn't allow for the type of longevity as a superstar that you see from a guy like Kobe. His post game is going to save him though. Physically, he's probably the strongest 2 in the league but his defense will also suffer as his explosiveness declines because his best defensive quality is that ability to get in there out of nowhere are block a shot or cut off the passing lane.

Edited by Flash

• Owner

Wade still has a nasty first step, but it's not where it was a few years back. Doesn't get up the court as fast. It's not THAT noticeable, unless you're really looking for it, and a lot of guys that watch basketball religiously will see it.

The thing about Wade is, I've always thought he could change his game up and become more of a playmaker. I'd say two years as well, he'll start to really struggle taking over games as an elite scorer (with the likes of a Durant, for instance), but there's no reason for me to think he won't have his hand in a great deal of clutch plays. Chris Paul doesn't have the knees to sky above everyone and drop big buckets, and he's a bit slower than he was when he first came in the NBA, but the guy knows the court inside-out, and he realizes how to be an effective player.

The other day, might have been against the Pacers, he had a nice finish at the rim...but you can see the way he plays a little more controlled, reserved, almost the anti-Iverson at times, to make sure he'll have it for the closing minutes of the fourth quarter. Guys like Durant and Griffin have to worry about that much less, and even LeBron (even though he's not 22 anymore), but Wade will need to lean on James and Bosh more than usual these next couple of seasons, to make sure he won't end up like Iverson.

I believe we had a discussion about this on the old OTR, near the beginning of his career (maybe right after he won his ring), regarding his play and how it will wear him down quicker. Wish I had that topic, haha.

He is not the old Wade, but I don't see him getting to scrub, bench warmer level. He has done so much in his time in the NBA, even plays in the Olympics and team USA scrimmages all the time. I can't believe he is already 30 though, time flies.

He is not the old Wade, but I don't see him getting to scrub, bench warmer level. He has done so much in his time in the NBA, even plays in the Olympics and team USA scrimmages all the time. I can't believe he is already 30 though, time flies.

My thoughts exactly. he is far from done, IMO. How Much Longer Does He Have Left? 5-6 years maybe.

If the team can prove to win consistently while Wade is sidelined I'd look to lessen Dwyane's role on the team a bit keeping him fresh for big games and the playoffs.

Because there team has two legit superstars in Bron and Bosh it could only benefit the team as they can not win it all without Wade.

IMO Barkley is dead on when he says LBJ needs to take control of this team when he's on the floor. Not only will we be a better team but it'll be better for Wade who can play the same style he did in the Olympics where he was pretty much unstoppable.