Are The Jazz For Real?

Built Ford Tough

Coming into the season I don't think many people expected the Jazz to be anywhere other than the lottery.

After trading Deron Williams and seeing Jerry Sloan step down, it seemed like the perfect time for this franchise to enter into a full blown rebuild for the first time in ages. They ended up with two lottery picks last season in Enes Kanter and Alec Burks to pair with other young players like Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward. It seemed only a matter of time before they looked to deal vets like Al Jeffesron and Paul Millsap.

However, the Jazz have been one of the surprise teams in the Western Conference as they are currently sitting in 2nd place in the West with a 9-4 record including going 8-2 in their last 10 games. They have gone 7-1 at home, but just 2-3 on the road so their great start may be because of them having a favourable home/road split so far.

So do you think the Jazz are for real? I'm not talking about in terms of finishing the season as a top 4 seed in the West or something like that because I think we can all agree that they aren't going to be a homecourt team in the playoffs. I'm talking about in terms of them being able to make the playoffs as potentially as high as a 6th seed.

Or is this just a hot start and by the end of the season they will fall to the 10th/11th/12th range like many people had expected before the season started?

Their frontcourt play has been fantastic, and it starts with Paul Milsap who's putting up good numbers and is playing very sound defense. They are dominating the paint against most teams, just watch the Lakers game where Gasol and Bynum struggled. Last year we saw Utah playing out of control at times, not moving the ball, and are starting off games strong.

• Owner

They look like a contender right now, being second in the West, but their schedule has been favorable.

Losses to the Lakers (twice), Spurs, and Nuggets (road)...

Their best wins came against the Sixers (in Utah) and a second meeting against Denver. However, aside from those two, they've knocked out the Hornets, Bucks, Grizzlies, Cavaliers, Warriors, Nets, and the Clippers (no CP3).

Contenders need to be able to beat other contenders. I can't say they are THAT good yet, but the Jazz are surely a playoff team. They play smart basketball. They take smart shots, won't foul as much, and they don't end up with so many turnovers after every game. That, alone, makes any team a decent one.