Zydrunas Ilgauskas Joins Cleveland's Front Office

CLEVELAND -- Zydrunas Ilgauskas is back inside for the Cavaliers.

The former center, who became one of the franchise's most popular players during 12 seasons in Cleveland, has returned to the team as a special assistant to general manager Chris Grant.

Ilgauskas' job responsibilities will include evaluating amateur and pro talent for the Cavs, who drafted the 7-foot-3 Lithuanian in 1996 and watched him overcome serious foot injuries at the start of his career to become a two-time All-Star. Ilgauskas retired after playing for the Miami Heat last season.

"I always thought this would be a natural step for me after my career was over," Ilgauskas said over the phone from Florida. "I always felt like I had a lot to offer and I've got a lot to learn."

Ilgauskas first discussed the possibility of rejoining the Cavs with Grant during the NBA lockout. Before accepting the position, Ilgauskas said he also spoke with former teammate Danny Ferry, who made the transition from the front court to the front office. The Cavs' former GM explained the challenges of a new position to Ilgauskas, who said he's looking forward to helping anyway he can.

"I'm willing to learn, and my work ethic won't change," said Ilgauskas, the team's career leader in games played, rebounds and blocks. "I do have a unique experience as a player. I played with good players and bad players, good teams and bad teams. I've seen it all."

Ilgauskas said he'll probably scout for the Cavs in Europe, but quickly added, "it's all up to Chris. I'm open to anything."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7475729/zydrunas-ilgauskas-rejoins-cleveland-cavaliers-assistant-gm

• Like 2

• Owner

Good. I wish he never left the franchise, though, but I doubt that many Cleveland fans care about that now, especially since he's back just one year after.

Could have been one of those guys that has never played for a second team, though, and that's rare. Kobe, Dirk, Duncan, Pierce so far.

This makes me proud to be a Z and Cavs fan. He loves us, and we love him. Welcome home Z!

edit - He won't get a ring as a player, but when, WHEN we accomplish the goal, it'll will be just as satisfying for me and most fans in terms of him winning the big one. Now we know he's a part of this franchise again, player or coach/scout.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

• 5 weeks later...

Good. I wish he never left the franchise, though, but I doubt that many Cleveland fans care about that now, especially since he's back just one year after.

Could have been one of those guys that has never played for a second team, though, and that's rare. Kobe, Dirk, Duncan, Pierce so far.

what about jeff foster

• Like 1