I Sense Issues In OKC

Nitro

So, with the resigning of Westbrook, the Thunder are in for an interesting dillema in the next year or two. As it stands, the team is probably top 3 in the entire league, although I think they are a step down from the Heat and Bulls. They still struggle at times in the halfcourt, and lack 1-2 multi-dimensional role players to win the title IMO. What this topic is about is their outlook in the future as it relates to the cap. With the resigning of Westbrook, the Thunder will be about $10M over the cap at the beginning of next year with the current roster. Now, Harden, Ibaka and Maynor are all still on their rookie contracts, and next season they will start to negotiate extensions. Harden will probably be a $10M per year contract after that, Ibaka probably around $7M, and Maynor around $4M (all are complete guesses). If all those went through, the Thunder will probably be looking at being $20M over the cap, and with the harsh new luxory tax penalties, I can't imagine the Thunder being able to keep all those guys. And if they do, they will almost certainly be handicapped in terms of improving the roster elsewhere, which IMO will be necessary if they want to be a title contender year-in, year-out.

What really killed them was resigning Perkins for a long $7-8M per year contract. He adds toughness and post defense to the team, but he's a poor rebounder, poor offensive players, and doesn't have amazing range defensively. Many times Collison is the guy on the floor when the team is at its best. I think Presti made a bad, impulsive win-now choice in signing him to such a contract.

So, if you are Sam Presti, what do you do in the next year or two? Who do you resign? Who do you let walk? Who do you trade?

• Owner

Well, I've stated it over and over again: I'm trading Westbrook, even after re-signing him. I know it's going to be the unpopular decision, but I've never had faith in Westbrook being the #2 guy on this team pressing on as a contender, and I think the Thunder could get some real value back for him.

Plus, I have confidence in James Harden as a second scoring option, if needed.

I'd like to see the Thunder try and find a post scorer.

You bring up a good point with Perkins. I thought Perk was underrated (defensively) in Boston, because the guy was doing pretty damn good as a defensive anchor when Garnett was on the bench (and KG did benefit from him being out there, as Perk took up a lot of space), but yeah...the money can be spent elsewhere.

Rumor was that the Hornets offered CP3 to the Thunder, and they wanted Westbrook, Harden and a big man. Very steep price, and I wouldn't do that, but CP3 would compliment Durant perfectly. So would Rondo, or Deron Williams.

I'm not so sure the Thunder really need more rebounding, as Durant, Ibaka and Collison can get the job done for them (assuming Perkins was thrown out the door), and Westbrook is a good rebounder at the point...but they don't crash the glass enough when shots are hoisted up, and that's one thing that needs to change. If they had a Gasol grabbing offensive boards and creating second chance points, that would be huge for them.

I've seen every Thunder game for about two years now...and I've always felt there's too much one-on-one going on. They aren't that great of a passing team this season, and I said the same about them last year. Durant will eventually learn how to create for his teammates (he's slowly improving, but not fast enough), but it would be nice to have a PG that can do that, and a post scorer that can pass the ball, also.

Trade Westbrook, Ibaka and picks for Dwight. Problem solved if he's willing to stay there.

That's the issue...by all accounts, he isn't. He wants to be in a big market with a chance to win a title, and he has options that can get them there. Durant/Howard would be a sick combo, but I just don't see it.

perkins was a terrific signing, look at his contact in comparison to other centers around the league, it was a smart move by presti. imo his a huge factor for this team if they want to win.

while harden is the obvious choice to resign first and the market price on ibaka will be steep but presti if very crafty and i have no doubt that he will resign both, he'll find away just like the deal he struck with westbrook.

maynor could be traded or let go if reggie jackson develops into a stud or vise-versa

perkins was a terrific signing, look at his contact in comparison to other centers around the league, it was a smart move by presti. imo his a huge factor for this team if they want to win.

Samuel Dalembert signed this offseason for less money and years, and is a much better player on both ends, as well as being a signficantly better rebounder. Perkins is along the lines of Joel Anthony, who makes less than half of what Perkins makes.

while harden is the obvious choice to resign first and the market price on ibaka will be steep but presti if very crafty and i have no doubt that he will resign both, he'll find away just like the deal he struck with westbrook.

Ok, he resigns both...that still puts them way over the cap with steep luxory tax penalties, and I can't see a small market team like the Thunder willing to pay that kind of money. Even if they do, IMO the team will not be good enough to win a title as they are still missing a piece or two. With their eventual cap situation, where will they have the money to make those necessary improvements?

Samuel Dalembert signed this offseason for less money and years, and is a much better player on both ends, as well as being a signficantly better rebounder. Perkins is along the lines of Joel Anthony, who makes less than half of what Perkins makes.

Ok, he resigns both...that still puts them way over the cap with steep luxory tax penalties, and I can't see a small market team like the Thunder willing to pay that kind of money. Even if they do, IMO the team will not be good enough to win a title as they are still missing a piece or two. With their eventual cap situation, where will they have the money to make those necessary improvements?

perk brings a lot more to the table than just offense and defense, the thunder needed a hard nose guy, can handle any big on the block one on one, who will call out players(his teammates) his very vocal, provides toughness that the thunder lacked, but i should have to point this out.

maybe im just a huge homer but i seriously believe if he resign both players, and maynor, and a year or 2 more under our belt i feel we have enough to win it all. i like our starters and what they bring, thabo has shown he can hit the 3ball this season, i know he doesn't shoot a high clip of them but his still 2nd in the league in 3fg%, i love our bench with maynor in it of course, i feel they are one of the better benches in the league, they are very deep and the are productive when they are on the court.

there are a few out there who have thunder winning it all, i myself dont but each and every year i always underrate this team and they keep proving me wrong. last year i didnt think they would get past the second round. and this year they have surprised me, i know we have had a pretty easy schedule but nevertheless.

presti seems to not make many big FA moves at least his shown in the past, i thnk his still content to keep building up through the draft, this team is still very very young, and it seems that people are trying to rush this team along into a contender when our players haven't even hit their prime or possibly even came close.

-didnt proof read dinners ready lol :P

Should have dealt Westbrook and Ibaka/Perkins and picks for CP3 when they had the chance...

CP3/Maynor

Harden/Thabo

Durant/Cook

Ibaka/Collison/Nazr

Collinson/Perkins/Nazr

legit title contender imo great depth and scoring...

Edited by Z True Long Island Story

• Owner

Should have dealt Westbrook and Ibaka/Perkins and picks for CP3 when they had the chance...

CP3/Maynor

Harden/Thabo

Durant/Cook

Ibaka/Collison/Nazr

Collinson/Perkins/Nazr

legit title contender imo great depth and scoring...

The deal included Harden (I'll have to find the article, I guess Stern kind of stuck his hand into that trade as well).

The deal included Harden (I'll have to find the article, I guess Stern kind of stuck his hand into that trade as well).

I honestly didn't know there was a deal offered, I have been behind a Westbrook+big for CP3 swap for a while now, if Harden is included thats just overkill...

• Owner

I honestly didn't know there was a deal offered, I have been behind a Westbrook+big for CP3 swap for a while now, if Harden is included thats just overkill...

I believe Woj reported it first, but I don't remember (seems like forever ago), but I did read that Harden was the second piece, and the Hornets were also wanting either Collison or Ibaka.

There are always issues when players (RW) don't know their roles.

I do everything I can to retain Harden though if I am Presti, even if it costs me Ibaka (who I think is sometimes pretty overrated, and I am a fan of his).. I think Harden is an all-star in this league. Also I think it is crazy to think that Perkins is overpaid when you consider market value for bigs is so stupidly high.

The Chris Paul bandwagon is gone, but what about Deron come deadline time? Nets could be desperate, and the price may not be quite as high as it was for CP3, especially considering Deron's value might be at an all-time low right now. I tell them I can send them anything other than Durant and Harden for him to get it done honestly.

Westbrook+Ibaka+Aldrich+ a pick or two? I think that is a pretty great deal for New Jersey given the circumstances (if they don't have D12 by the deadline).

If Deron isn't willing to sign an extension, well then he's a retard.

Edited by Check my Stats