What is Demar Derozan ?? A Gerald Green or A Rudy Gay

Hi I am new to this forum .... Big Raps Fan

I think we were all prepared for a bad season but could this season have been more tolerable if Demar and Ed Davis didn't seem like they were taking a step backward ... What is a Derozan ? This organization is doing everything in it's power to help this kid but he isn't taking the ball and running with it ( as the saying goes ) ... Heck last home game they introduced him last which often goes to franchise players and so they are feeding his ego ...

What is his upside ?

Edited by raptorgaetano

Well let me start by saying I don't watch too many Raptors games but a little bit more athletic Rudy Gay seems to be his ceiling. I don't think he'll ever be as smooth a shooter as Gay is but that's not a bad comparison. IMO its hard for a young player to really grow with a team who's pretty much tanking like Toronto seems to be doing.

I still have hope that he can snap out of how he's been playing so far this year. He has shown glimpses of how he can play earlier in the season where he was putting up 20+ points. Somebody really needs to give him a wake up call and show him some game film or something of a few of his earlier games this year.

• Like 1

I still have hope that he can snap out of how he's been playing so far this year. He has shown glimpses of how he can play earlier in the season where he was putting up 20+ points. Somebody really needs to give him a wake up call and show him some game film or something of a few of his earlier games this year.

When I mentioned the comparison it was more to do with two players who were gifted with so much athletic ability but one player made it work in the NBA and the other ended up being just a contestant in a NBA slam dunk competion ... Demar has been given so much opportunity to suceed & it's fustrating that this season he has taken a step backwards .. What fustrating also is that in his 3rd season he doesn't seem to have increased his rebound numbers or assist numbers ie given us another aspect of his game ... I think his career has been similar to Wizards Nick Young ... Heck OJ Mayo was once touted the next Lebron and has not even come close ... 3 players who played at the same NCAA program ..

Well let me start by saying I don't watch too many Raptors games but a little bit more athletic Rudy Gay seems to be his ceiling. I don't think he'll ever be as smooth a shooter as Gay is but that's not a bad comparison. IMO its hard for a young player to really grow with a team who's pretty much tanking like Toronto seems to be doing.

Rudy Gay is much more athletic than DeRozan is.

DeRozan can jump high, but his athleticism really isn't that special. He isn't anything more than average in terms of quickness, speed, explosivenesss, fluidity and pretty much every other aspect of athleticism that you can think of besides jumping ability.

I also don't think he will ever be as good of a player as Gay either. Gay is much more skilled. I would love it if he could reach that level, though.

As for Green, DeRozan is already a better player than Green ever was. Green was just an athlete who was literally too stupid to understand even the most basic of offensive plays or defensive schemes. His understanding of the game was far too weak for him to ever have actually made an impact on a team.

Even with DeRozan's struggles this season, he is still a much better player than Green ever was.

If I had to choose a player, I'd say he is more like Jason Richardson. A good dunker and leaper, but not a real high level athlete. An above average shooter, but lack of handles and a first step made it difficult to really create for himself consistently. At his best in transition and when having a teammate create for him and all he has to do is stick an open jumper or finish at the rim.

Hopefully DeRozan can add more to his game, but that is what he is looking more and more like with each passing day. That isn't a bad player by any means, but not nearly as good as I, or many other Raptor fans, were hoping for. If he isn't able to become better than that, the Raptors rebuild is a lot further away than a lot of people had originally hoped.