Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Tony romo

I think we have a good shot at the 2nd wild card this year.

Brett lawrie,jose bautista,adam lind lead a high powered offense. The key will be our pitching. If romero and morrow continue to develop we should do fine. We got a closer and more depth at the bull pen this off season.

Go jays!

Edited by Tony romo

Brandon Morrow signed a 3 year, $20M deal yesterday.

Guy has filthy stuff so hopefully he can get his control issues under control. If he puts it all together I really like a 1/2 of Morrow and Romero heading forward.

They also signed Francisco Cordero to a 1 year, $4.5M contract today to continue to strengthen their 'pen.

Jays made some good moves this off-season but its still not gonna be enough. I thought it was gonna be this off-season where they finally spend big, but looks like we will have to wait again. They might sneak into the final play-off spot but the future is looking great.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have ESPN Insider? They posted an article ranking the top 30 prospect systems and i'm curious to see where the Jays are ranked and what they said about their prospects.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove11/story?id=7547640&_slug_=san-diego-padres-best-farm-system-baseball-mlb&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fmlb%2fhotstove11%2fstory%3fid%3d7547640%26_slug_%3dsan-diego-padres-best-farm-system-baseball-mlb

I don't know if that link will work, but try it out if anyone has it. Thanks.

3rd.

One of the many reasons criticism of Rogers Communications, the owner of the Blue Jays, for being stingy with free agents is so ignorant is that the club has spent aggressively in the amateur markets during the past three years, grabbing high-ceiling high school players and Latin American prospects by stockpiling picks and paying whatever it took to sign those players. They are the organization most likely to be No. 1 on this list next winter.

• Like 1

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20093481&topic_id=&c_id=mlb&tcid=vpp_copy_20093481&v=3

Sick Ricky Romero commercial. I'm getting pretty excited for the start of the season.

Edited by DemarDerozanDunk

• 3 weeks later...

I like the Jays, not sure they are ready to tackle a playoff spot and I'm not sold on Brett Lawrie but they certainly look a hell of a lot better than they did thi s time last year, give them a year of progression, hopefully Snider and Rasmus live up to their top 10 prospect potential, Lawrie continues to play well and D'arnaud comes up and plays well. I know some of you like JP but take the homeruns away and he's a below average catcher. Then next offseason they can add a few pieces to the rotation and bullpen and I'd see them as a contender, even in the AL east.

Edited by fish7718

• 2 weeks later...

Still very early of course, but right now the Jays are 7-2 in grapefruit league games. They have been very good at almost all aspects of the game. Brett Lawrie has an average above .500 and Snider already has 3 HR's. Hopefully they keep it up.

Still very early of course, but right now the Jays are 7-2 in grapefruit league games. They have been very good at almost all aspects of the game. Brett Lawrie has an average above .500 and Snider already has 3 HR's. Hopefully they keep it up.

If I've learned anything from preseason over my life it's it means absolutely nothing. Some guys have the best springs you ever seen and play awful in majors. Only thing preseason is for me is I get to see my Mets again before April...

Yeah preseason record is pretty useless since such a weird combination of guys are used in the games. Guys who will contribute this year, guys who will contribute in 3 years, AAA fodder fighting for the 25th roster spot, etc.

With this said, you guys definitely have a lot to look forward to. Not sure if your "big jump" will be this season, but it is looking awfully strong for 2013 and beyond though. I love how patient Anthopoulos has been. The Jays could easily spend as much money (and perhaps more) than any other team in baseball, yet he is holding back for now. When your current batch of studly prospects (obviously you have a handful of them) are ready to contribute in the Majors, I am expecting some free agency splurging. All about waiting for the right time though so you don't get locked into bad contracts during a transition period.

I've never really payed much attention to the spring training league so i wasn't sure how much it affected the regular season. I along with most other blue jays fans are very excited for the years to come. This team has just added more and more draft picks and prospects, and its all starting to pan out. With the 2nd best prospect system in the league, and a team full of young guys already getting better, I couldn't be more excited. Toronto deserves this too. All of our professional teams suck, and have sucked since the 90's.

• 4 weeks later...

Chris Perez is horrendous. And always has been. Figured Vinnie Pestano would be their closer before too long. Did not figure it would be after 1 game.

Wrong thread

nvm guess CF never made an indians thread :\

Edited by fish7718

i can't believe i sat and watched the entire 5 and a half hours of that game. Longest opening game in MLB history.

That is nothing.

I decided since it was a season opener I would write an inning-by-inning recap of the game.

5 and a half hours and 6,000 words later... :lol:

Anyways, looking forward to seeing Alvarez tonight. I am very high on him and think he is the best young arm in the Jays system. It would surprise me at all if he ends up becoming the ace of this staff in a few years and I am a huge fan of Romero's. Guy has nasty stuff and from everything I've read about him, it has only improved since last year. What he did last season was pretty damn special considering he was basically using two pitches the entire time, which isn't supposed to be the case this year.

Santos with his second blown save already. Not a good start by any means, especially after how bad the Jays were at closing out games last season.

I really don't know a lot about his time in Chicago, but so far in the three games I've seen from him in Toronto, he has good stuff but has really struggled with control. Tonight he was really bad locating his pitches. He had one where Arencibia wanted it high and away and he missed low and in. There was the pitch up against Pedroia that led off the start of the 9th. He had a wild pitch, another pitch that was wild but Arencibia managed to block it and another that could've easily been counted as a wild pitch but was instead credited as a passed ball against Arencibia.

The stuff is there, though, so I'm hoping it is just a matter of him needing to get his control back, which should come in time.

I thought Alvarez was solid. Nothing spectacular by any means, but he only made the one big mistake, which was the Pedroia homer.

Looking forward to seeing Drabek tomorrow. Hopefully he can bounce back after what was basically a write off season last year.