Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Tony romo

Santos with his second blown save already. Not a good start by any means, especially after how bad the Jays were at closing out games last season.

I really don't know a lot about his time in Chicago, but so far in the three games I've seen from him in Toronto, he has good stuff but has really struggled with control. Tonight he was really bad locating his pitches. He had one where Arencibia wanted it high and away and he missed low and in. There was the pitch up against Pedroia that led off the start of the 9th. He had a wild pitch, another pitch that was wild but Arencibia managed to block it and another that could've easily been counted as a wild pitch but was instead credited as a passed ball against Arencibia.

The stuff is there, though, so I'm hoping it is just a matter of him needing to get his control back, which should come in time.

I thought Alvarez was solid. Nothing spectacular by any means, but he only made the one big mistake, which was the Pedroia homer.

Looking forward to seeing Drabek tomorrow. Hopefully he can bounce back after what was basically a write off season last year.

understated a bit, Alvarez is amazing, no1 knows about him yet sept me and my homie

Romero was dominant today. I didn't catch the whole game, but from what I did see of him, he was absolutely nasty. Boston had no answer for him.

It is a shame he couldn't close out the game and get the CG, but whatever. His two walks in the 9th doesn't change how great he was.

Nice to see Santos get Youkalis and Ortiz out when he came in, especially after blowing that save in opening day. He did a lot better job of locating his pitches today.

I'm happy with taking 2 of 3 against the Sox, especially since Bautista looked like crap all series long. The offense in general has been pretty poor, and I can't see them continuing to struggle to score runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Bautista is really starting to annoy me at the plate. All he does is go up there, try to hit a moonshot home run, but ends up popping out to shallow left or the infield. All 3 of his at bats today have been like that.

Him and Lind have given absolutely no production from the 3 and 4 spots in the lineup. I've already given up on Lind as he simply isn't a good player, but they really need Bautista to get his shit together.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Encarnacion is absolutely mashing right now. He is doing pretty much everything up there.

Bautista is really starting to annoy me at the plate. All he does is go up there, try to hit a moonshot home run, but ends up popping out to shallow left or the infield. All 3 of his at bats today have been like that.

Him and Lind have given absolutely no production from the 3 and 4 spots in the lineup. I've already given up on Lind as he simply isn't a good player, but they really need Bautista to get his shit together.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Encarnacion is absolutely mashing right now. He is doing pretty much everything up there.

No kidding. watching Bautista at the plate has been extremely frustrating this year. If he can't go back to being able to crank home runs like he has been, thats going to be a huge hole on the Jays roster. Luckily Encarnacion has been on fire. Grand slam yesterday and another home run today. I believe he has 7 already, and already 20+ RBI's. Really though, the offense has been a much bigger problem this year then I had expected.

Without a doubt the best performance I've seen from Morrow since his CG, 1H, 17K game against the Rays 2 years back.

Was absolutely dominant tonight. Faced just 28 batters and was at the minimum heading into the 9th before Trumbo's leadoff double. He managed to get the next 3 to cap off the CG, 2H shutout.

Jays are starting to turn it around lately. I'm getting worried about Joey Bats, .127 right now. Ouch.

I think a combination of pitchers learning how to pitch him, and his confidence being at an all time low is really keeping Jose down right now. If the Jays want a chance at making the playoffs, we need him to start stepping up again.

Well, pretty crazy finish to tonights game. Lawrie has a 3-1 count, and their pitcher clearly throws a ball, but the ump calls it a strike. You can tell Lawrie is pretty pissed off about it, but he goes back up to the plate. Then the next pitch, which is also clearly a high pitch and should be called a ball. The ump calls another strike, and Lawrie absolutely loses it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2MLo3YG7e4

Here's some of the fans reactions on twitter to the call: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/story/2012/05/15/sp-blue-jays-brett-lawrie-fans-react.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8xkwqgnxnOY/T7MJKD0wgmI/AAAAAAAAD3Y/NUkLPbSH2vA/s1600/Lawrie-Smash.gif

lool and heres a fan throwing a beer at the ump after the game

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5032/7206878774_ff843a155f_o.gif

He's a little arrogant bitch. I hope he has a terrible career.

lol yeah ok there. He's actually just a very emotional player who got absolutely [expletive]ed over by the ump in the bottom of the 9th, down by one run. I admit he clearly let his emotions get the best of him, but he's no arrogant bitch.

lol yeah ok there. He's actually just a very emotional player who got absolutely [expletive]ed over by the ump in the bottom of the 9th, down by one run. I admit he clearly let his emotions get the best of him, but he's no arrogant bitch.

Eh, I think he is pretty arrogant, lol.

He is my favourite player, but there is no denying he has some cockiness and arrogance to him. He can also be a hot head. These are all major factors why MIlwaukee traded him.

Still, he was completely screwed over by Miller. That 3-1 pitch was one of the worst strike calls I've seen and the only reason he called it a strike is because he was heading to first before the ump made the signal. Then Miller was just being spiteful and completely unprofessional by allowing his emotions to factor into the third strike call.

To take it even further, 37% of the called strikes against the Jays last night were out of the strike zone. The league average is 21%.

I'm not justifying what Lawrie did and he deserves to be suspdended. However, despite that, it is ludicrous to say that he should get 10+ games. Sure, if he legitimately threw his helmet right at the ump I agree he should have the book thrown at him. The fact of the matter is that he did not. He bounced it on the ground and happened to hit Miller. Can you argue he tried to hit him? I guess, but there is no concrete proof that he did it on purpose and, personally, if he did want to hit the ump why would he bounce it and not just throw it directly at him? Sure, I'm bias, but I really don't see how you can argue that he did.

Jermaine Dye had a similar incident a few years ago. He got two games for this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4537879&c_id=mlb

Why exactly should Lawrie get 10+ when Dye got 2 for that?

PS: Guess who is the third base umpire in tonight's game against the Yankees? Yup, Bill Miller. :lol:

Eh, I think he is pretty arrogant, lol.

He is my favourite player, but there is no denying he has some cockiness and arrogance to him. He can also be a hot head. These are all major factors why MIlwaukee traded him.

Still, he was completely screwed over by Miller. That 3-1 pitch was one of the worst strike calls I've seen and the only reason he called it a strike is because he was heading to first before the ump made the signal. Then Miller was just being spiteful and completely unprofessional by allowing his emotions to factor into the third strike call.

To take it even further, 37% of the called strikes against the Jays last night were out of the strike zone. The league average is 21%.

I'm not justifying what Lawrie did and he deserves to be suspdended. However, despite that, it is ludicrous to say that he should get 10+ games. Sure, if he legitimately threw his helmet right at the ump I agree he should have the book thrown at him. The fact of the matter is that he did not. He bounced it on the ground and happened to hit Miller. Can you argue he tried to hit him? I guess, but there is no concrete proof that he did it on purpose and, personally, if he did want to hit the ump why would he bounce it and not just throw it directly at him? Sure, I'm bias, but I really don't see how you can argue that he did.

Jermaine Dye had a similar incident a few years ago. He got two games for this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=4537879&c_id=mlb

Why exactly should Lawrie get 10+ when Dye got 2 for that?

PS: Guess who is the third base umpire in tonight's game against the Yankees? Yup, Bill Miller. :lol:

I agree with you that he's got some arrogance and cockiness. I like his emotion though. I think it really shows that he's going to grow up to be a great teammate and leader in the coming years.