Griffin Evolves on Hero's Journey

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0123/la_a_griffin01jr_288.jpg

Critiques of Blake Griffin's style of play are more frequent in his second season.

Before he made Mozgov a verb and before the nightly media scrum around his locker swelled to a pyramidal mass, Blake Griffin was contemplating what it would mean to be another in a procession of draft busts. He was killing time at movie theaters on Los Angeles' Westside between rehab sessions on his left knee, cursing the snarl of traffic in his new hometown and basically managing his misery.

Over the spring and summer of 2010, Griffin's patellar tendon became stronger and he gradually regained the range of motion in his knee. He endured that trial -- the lost season, the solitude of the recovery process and the anxiety of having zero control over whether that little piece of broken kneecap would render him nothing more than a footnote. And that autumn, Griffin descended from the basketball heavens like an avatar.

From there, Griffin's legend grew. His dunks sent grown men into delirium. He leaped over a Korean sedan, a Russian center and our wildest expectations. Griffin was the unanimous choice for rookie of the year. When owners locked out the players, Griffin worked on his extracurricular game as an intern at Funny or Die and honed his persona as a snarky, but imminently marketable, NBA star.

Read More

Great and epic read. Very accurate.

His game has so much potential but I hate the way he carries himself on the court. Dude needs to grow up a bit if he wants to stay at the top.

I feel like the dunk contest hype got to him alot and has to do with it. People were riding him too hard during that all-star weekend. Dude could have done a regular one handed dunk and would have won the contest.

Yeah not only that which I totally agree on but every time he gets fouled even a small foul he stares the other guy down like he just [expletive]ed his mom or something and Blake wants to kill him. Same thing with refs who don't give him a call he needs to get past that immature shit and just play. He dwells on that stuff a lot and I feel like it hurts his game at times.

The shit he did to Chalmers last year is just unacceptable for any top player to do in this league rookie or not. That was some petty, Kevin Garnett type shit. Not to mention the Andre Miller thing.

• Like 1