Reggie Evans a Fan-Favorite in L.A.

Reggie Evans a Fan-Favorite in Los Angeles

By Eric Pincus, Senior NBA Writer

http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_reggie_evans.jpg

Fourteen games in and the Los Angeles Clippers have a strong 9-5 record despite playing stretches without Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Mo Williams, Caron Butler and Brian Cook. Los Angeles has won eight of 10 at home, with their most recent loss coming in spectacular fashion on a Kevin Love buzzer-beating three. Where the team has yet to prove its worth is on the road where the Clippers have played only four games, the fewest in the NBA.

In Los Angeles, one player has quickly emerged as the fan favorite. Naturally the home crowd adores the stars like Blake Griffin, Paul and the like but newcomer Reggie Evans has made a very quick impression. For a team initially desperate for rebounding (still 27th in the league), the Clippers added arguably the best per minute board-man in Evans. Reggie, despite a solid year in Toronto, signed with the Clippers for the league minimum. Joining the team a bit late after battling an ankle issue, Evans has averaged 2.6 offensive boards a game and 5.8 overall in just 17.6 minutes. The way he fights to provide extra possessions for the Clippers has inspired the STAPLES Center crowd to regularly chant “Reg-gie, Reg-gie,” throughout games.

“I guess they just like hard work, really,” said Evans recently. “That’s what it’s telling me. We’re just having fun.” Teammate Paul recognizes just what the 6’8″ power forward brings to the Clippers. “When Reggie comes in the game and guys see how hard he is playing, it becomes contagious,” said Paul. “You have no choice but to play hard when you see Reggie diving all over the court.”

Read More