Rockets decline team options for 2009 lottery picks

Dash

With Wednesday the deadline for the Rockets to pick up the contract options for the 2012-13 season, they will allow Williams, Thabeet and Flynn to become free agents next summer and are still weighing whether to keep Hill under contract for another season.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/01/rockets-unlikely-to-keep-former-lottery-picks/

I was expecting T-Will's option to get picked up because we wasted a pick on him. Whatever we could use the extra cap space in free agency.

Edited by Dash

If it was up to me I would let all of them walk this summer. Hasheem Thabeet is a waste of a roster spot, Jordan Hill has been o.k. but we can get better, I like T-Will but apparently McHale feels he doesn't fit with this team and so did Adelman, and I like Flynn as well but with Lowry starting and the way Dragic has been playing off of the bench lately its kind of pointless to have him other than for depth.

Edited by htownborn

Whats Flynn like? I don't know much about him other then hes a young PG. Is he any good?

Flynn's very talented, he was a beast at Syracuse and had a good rookie season with the T'Wolves a couple of seasons ago. He just won't get much time with the Rockets because were stacked at PG. To me his game is similar to that of a Ty Lawson but slightly more athletic and flashier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U65I6UB9og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54tzdRU1OEc

Edited by htownborn

They officially declined Hill's option as well.

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets have chosen not to pick up the option on center/forward Jordan Hill's contract, which means he will become a free agent after the season according to his agent Kevin Bradbury.

"They did not pick it up," Bradbury said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "I think for Jordan it'll be an opportunity for him to test the free agent market.

"Obviously as long as he continues to play the way he's playing, there'll be a market for him out there."

Hill would have made $3.632 million next year.

He began the season as the Rockets starting center, but has since been replaced by Samuel Dalembert.

Hill has played in 16 games, starting seven, and averaged 4.4 points and 4.9 rebounds.

"I was a little surprised," Bradbury said of the Rockets' decision. "His body of work this year in my opinion would merit picking up his option, but at the same time the way (Rockets general manager) Daryl (Morey) explained it, they're trying to clear all of the cap space they can to go after a max contract.

"The disallowing of that trade (with Lakers, Hornets) hurt them and they're trying to figure out a way to do what's best for the Rockets."

Hill was the eighth player chosen in the 2009 draft and was traded to Houston by the Knicks in the deal that sent Tracy McGrady to New York in 2010.

Last year with the Rockets Hill averaged 5.6 points and 4.3 rebounds.

"Jordan is upset because he loves Houston," Bradbury said. "He loves playing here. He's got a place. He lives there year around now from that standpoint. At the same time it's good for him, because if he (plays well) who knows? We may even stay in Houston."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/120125-rockets-decline-option-on-jordan-hill#ixzz1kWNGIBeG

I think Houston would normally would have picked up all 4 of their options, might as well give a couple of former lottery picks a chance to prove themselves but the goal this season is clear. Morey wants to bring in a superstar whether by trade or free agency and in order to the latter, you need loads of cap space.