Hornets, Eric Gordon unable to reach contract extension

Hornets didn’t reach terms with guard Eric Gordon on a contract extension and he will be a restricted free agent this summer NBA sources say.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/26/hornets-eric-gordon-unable-to-reach-contract-extension/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So basically Stern opted to go for the Clippers deal, and is now in jeopardy of losing the centerpiece of that trade. As the source mentions, with the franchise still unable to land an owner, it's tough to say just how much they're willing to pay him, especially considering the amount of offers other teams could throw at him.

• Like 1

• Owner

No reason to be surprised at this. I can safely assume that EG is still bitter about the deal, and I don't think he wants to play for a franchise that doesn't have an owner and is at a risk of being sold and moved to a new city.

I remember reading last night they offered 4 year, $50M, and he wanted 4 years and $58M (I may have gotten the years wrong, though).

This is actually an interesting situation in many aspects. First off, Stern having the control and making the CP3 deal puts all the pressure on him to make this work in one way or another, or else he could have destroyed the team's future. He could possibly either let a healthy Gordon sign somewhere else and not allow the Hornets to match the offer sheet, or he could sign Gordon with a possibly lingering knee issue to a bad, max (or near-max) deal. Of course, there is also the option that he is healthy and stays with the Hornets, but there is a lot of ways this could go wrong, with all the blame falling on the commisioner.

As for Gordon, if I were him I'd simply find the highest offer and sign the deal. If the Hornets match, they match. I've heard some people talking about him take the QO to become unrestricted after next season, but that is too much of a gamble for a young player with possible knee problems that hasn't had his big payday yet.

No reason to be surprised at this. I can safely assume that EG is still bitter about the deal, and I don't think he wants to play for a franchise that doesn't have an owner and is at a risk of being sold and moved to a new city.

Actually, I read on twitter a lot this past week that he expressed interest in staying with the Hornets.

Hornets offered 4-year deal to Gordon after getting NBA clearance Tues. Expect Pacers to make run at the Indianapolis native in off-season.

https://twitter.com/#!/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/162393743587160064

A backcourt of Collison/Gordon would be great.