Rumor: Xbox 720 won't be able to play used games

Dash

The Xbox 720 will reportedly feature a system preventing used games. Meanwhile, developers claim that the Wii U only has twice the processing and graphical prowess of the current Xbox 360.

ZoomKotaku has learned from an unnamed source that Microsoft's next console will feature a Blu-ray optical drive and some kind of anti-used game system. Details surrounding this little interesting nugget is virtually nonexistent -- even the source wasn't sure how Microsoft planned to implement such a system. One theory is that games will be initially tied and registered to one Xbox Live account. When sold off or passed to friends and siblings, these games would either be unplayable, or have a locked multiplayer component.

This aspect of Microsoft's upcoming console should be music to the ears of publishers and developers who loathe the second-hand gaming market. Publishers like EA are already trying to squash used-game sales by locking the multiplayer component, and forcing those secondary consumers into purchasing a "pass" to gain access. Banning used games entirely would likely break the gaming market given that a large chunk of consumers rely on the cheaper price points to build their library.

The news follows Tuesday's report that the Xbox 720 will contain an "Oban" SoC featuring a PowerPC-based 32-nm processor core(s) and an ATI "Southern Islands" GPU core. Later reports clarified that the GPU aspect would be of the 6000 series -- something skin to the Radeon HD 6670 -- which supports DirectX 11, multi-display output, 3D and 1080p HD output. Raw graphics processing power is expected to be 6 times that of the current console, and yield 20-percent greater performance than the upcoming Nintendo Wii U.

Meanwhile, unnamed sources are reporting that Nintendo's upcoming Wii U console could achieve roughly twice the processing and graphical potential of Microsoft’s current generation Xbox 360. The unnamed source is actually a developer who is currently working on a Wii U title. Naturally, he/she wants to remain anonymous due to NDA restrictions. Unfortunately, this performance is less than what the studio expected.

"I've heard [a project designer] complain it's underpowered compared to what Nintendo announced, resulting in people having to de-scale their plans," the source added.

So here's what we have so far: the Xbox 720 will reportedly be six times as powerful as the current 360 unit, and 20-percent greater in performance power than the Wii U. Nintendo's "underpowered" Wii U, on the other hand, is supposedly twice as powerful as the Xbox 360. Based on those numbers, Nintendo will fall behind again once the Xbox 720 makes its debut towards the end of 2013.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Wii-U-Xbox-720-Oban-Radeon-Performance,news-13994.html

Dumbest thing I have ever heard. If this is true then I'm probably jumping ship for PS4 or probably won't buy any of the new gen systems for at all.

Edited by Dash

Based on those numbers, Nintendo will fall behind again once the Xbox 720 makes its debut towards the end of 2013.

Uhh, what? Fall behind again? Nintendo sold more Wii's (quite a few more) than Microsoft sold 360's. If they mean just system specs, yes obviously the 360 is better, but from the tone of the article it sounded like Microsoft pounded Nintendo into the ground when that definitely wasn't the case. :lol:

Anyways, as for the used games thing...that would be a incredibly stupid idea. Used games make up for a huge amount of sales, and game rentals (for Microsoft anyway) would stop completely if Microsoft put in this ass-backwards restriction. Stupid attempt to fight piracy when you just end up hurting more consumers and sales than actual pirating.

• Like 1

Anyways, as for the used games thing...that would be a incredibly stupid idea. Used games make up for a huge amount of sales, and game rentals (for Microsoft anyway) would stop completely if Microsoft put in this ass-backwards restriction. Stupid attempt to fight piracy when you just end up hurting more consumers and sales than actual pirating.

Whatever the case may be someone will find a way around what preventative purposes they make and post it on the net so no worries.

I don't really give too much of a shit about the whole "no used games thing", although it is just a huge bullshit way for them to make money. I buy most of my games the day they come out or close to it anyways, unless it's a game i just felt like trying out, which in that case I usually rent it.