Philadelphia Phillies 2012

Phightins

I thought the previous off season said a lot about him already....

Oh it certainly did. I found out all I needed to know about him when he signed Raul Ibanez for 3 years, TBH. It has been down hill since then, too.

But for the first time since he's been GM, the team isn't a World Series contender. For his past three offseasons/trade deadlines, he's been able to suck the farm system bone dry in order to add the players he wanted (and most fans, myself obviously not included, didn't have a problem with it). He's also been able to hand out obscene contracts to get the free agents he wants. It doesn't take a rocket scientist of a GM to overpay in prospects/money to get the top available talent. It does take a smart GM to lead the team out of the mess it's in right now. I don't think he's up for the task, but maybe he can prove me wrong.

Edited by Phightins

Roy has officially become human. Had gotten decent results all season up until now, but I feared this was coming. Not missing bats anymore and significantly worse-than-normal command. His FB velo is way down, which is definitely part of the reason why he doesn't miss bats anymore. Perhaps he is trying to compensate by throwing his off-speed stuff at times he normally wouldn't, which may be leading to the command issues. Who knows. Still getting a lot of weak contact, although too much contact of any kind can lead to bad things. As evidenced by tonight. He gets BABIPd to death, winds up in a jam, then makes one awful pitch to McCann.

He is still good, so don't believe all the BS "Halladay is done omg omg omg!!" articles that will surely pop up tomorrow. However, he isn't anywhere close to the machine he has been for most of his career. Quite sad.

Edited by Phightins

5 games for Hamels. Wish he wouldn't have opened his mouth to the media last night, but whatever. Mostly annoyed because I have tickets to what was to be his next start. Now it looks like I will get stuck with Kendrick instead! Woohoo!!

Nix DL'd, Sanches and Savery optioned, Diekman, Valdes, and Luna coming up.

Fantastic and long overdue on Diekman. I really don't see the point of Valdes over Savery, but I guess Rube is just trying to go for a new look. Dumb philosophy, but also expected.

So we finally have a three game winning streak. That is nice, but this team is still a hot mess. Seeing Diekman dominate in his debut this afternoon was certainly a breath of fresh air, though.

Also, the Pence trade is looking worse and worse by the day, today's homeruns aside.

Edited by Phightins

• 2 weeks later...

Dom Brown getting a look in CF for Lehigh Valley. Pretty interesting. I'd certainly say he has the physical ability to play there, but since he lacks the instincts to play a corner OF spot, I wonder how this will translate to CF.

This is obviously a story because of Shane Victorino's pending free agency.

Obviously, the Oswalt rumors will pick up big time now. Not sure how much of a help he would be, though, assuming he won't be in MLB shape until late June/early July. For the short term, a rotation backed by Joe Blanton, Kyle Kendrick, and Joe Savery/Scott Elarton is pretty frightening.

Carlos Ruiz scratched from today's lineup with a hamstring issue.

I know Heyman has been trolling Phillies fans on Twitter the past few days by saying we are far from the least lucky team, but I struggle to believe there's a team out there that's been destroyed by injuries worse than we have. Getting ridiculous.

Niese looks horrendous, could barely throw a strike if his life depended on it. Yet the Phillies keep swinging at awful pitches and it is a 2-2 game. Yay offense!