Casey's COY hopes!

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2012/01/31/casey-dwane-120116-8col.jpg

The Head Coach of the Toronto Raptors, Dwane Casey, is surely a front runner in my eyes for the award. Yes, the winning record by itself doesn't look that impressive, but I assure you he's better then Triano.

Dwane Casey is a tough minded individual who slips through the cracks of adversity with grace and ruggedness. His defensive prowls are intense in practice. Pound The Rock is one of his keys to the game, flooding the passing lane and making it tough for your assignment to be productive with the basketball. He's a perfect fit with wing man James Johnson. Johnson has attentively listened to everything Casey has preached.

Casey has also helped improve Andrea's work ethic. Bargnani has been ripped apart by the media for being lazy, and not boxing out. This has by far been Andrea's best season, and Casey has taken advantage of that. According to a recent message posted via twitter, Bargnani IS the best man to man defender in the entire league.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/raptorblog/files/2012/01/Untitled-4.jpg

That is surprising. Casey's superman it seems! Teaching Andrea defensive positioning was key to this in camp. He has been on a whole entire other level then Triano, but of course as every coach, he has downsides.

His rotations are perplexing at times. I remember a few games ago against the Pacers, he had Jamal Magloire out. Now, I can understand the lack of depth in Toronto might be an issue, but he isn't a good free throw shooter. Jamal is put to the line with the game on the line, and he misses both. He airballed one I believe. I have faith in Casey though. His team is young and no pieces are fully set in stone, he has a long time to figure out what works for Toronto.

The question is, can Dwane Casey actually provide enough victories for himself to be in the running for this prestigious award? Probably not.

Doug Collins in Philadelphia will most likely hold the gold soon, with how he's turned a somewhat talent deprived squad into perennial winners, he is a lock (for me) for the award. Then you've got what George Karl is doing without Chandler or Kenyon. Still, even with those in the race, you can peg Casey in there too.

I like Casey more than I liked Triano for sure, but I have some things against him too. It seems like our offense has gone down just as much as our defense has gone up. Especially with Derozan. He's been very streaky at best, and I feel like Casey isn't playing Derozan to his potential and what he does best. It doesn't say anything about the coahc of the year award in your article but i'm assuming that what you meant. I don't think he deserves that award considering this team has been pretty awful. He has done a nice job of turning them around defensively, but i'm pretty sure the team has got to atleast make the playoffs for the coach to have a chance at winning. He's still a good coach though and I hope he can keep it up.

I don't think he deserves that award considering this team has been pretty awful.

This team has been much better than anybody had expected.

Coming into the season the consensous worst teams in the league were the Bobcats, Pistons, Wizards and Raptors with the Kings and Cavs being slightly above those teams.

The Raptors have managed to put together a 7-14 record, which isn't great by any means, but it does have them just 2.5 games out of a playoff spot and when you consider that they have played nearly half of their games without their best player, it makes it even more impressive.

You could make the argument that this team, if not for a Bargs injury, would be a playoff team right now. They have already overachieved in regards to expectations coming into the season.

I'm not saying that he should be the coach of the year because he shouldn't, at least not unless he finds a way to get the team into the playoffs. With guys like Collins, Vogel and Adelman doing such great jobs with their teams, you can't give Casey the award for coaching the Raptors to a .400 record or something.

This team has been much better than anybody had expected.

Coming into the season the consensous worst teams in the league were the Bobcats, Pistons, Wizards and Raptors with the Kings and Cavs being slightly above those teams.

The Raptors have managed to put together a 7-14 record, which isn't great by any means, but it does have them just 2.5 games out of a playoff spot and when you consider that they have played nearly half of their games without their best player, it makes it even more impressive.

You could make the argument that this team, if not for a Bargs injury, would be a playoff team right now. They have already overachieved in regards to expectations coming into the season.

I'm not saying that he should be the coach of the year because he shouldn't, at least not unless he finds a way to get the team into the playoffs. With guys like Collins, Vogel and Adelman doing such great jobs with their teams, you can't give Casey the award for coaching the Raptors to a .400 record or something.

Although that is true that they have played about half their games withot their best player, when they don't have Bargnani they are something like 1-7, so its not really that they have even played decent without him. The Raptors record is pretty deceiving IMO. although 7-15 (after tonights loss) is only 3 games back of the 8th seed, the Raptors have been only 4-12 since their 3-3 start. Judging how they have played recently, I see no chance of this team challenging for a playoff spot. You never know though.