L.A. Clippers @ L.A. Lakers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good opening night win! Kobe was magnificent as always. I think he will have a huge year, even better then last year now that we have Artest. He can play passing lanes more for steals, and just have a lot more energy on offense. Hopefully Pau is back for Dallas on Friday.

C'mon Artest hit a open jumper for gods sake. Ariza would have hit those open threes.

He shoots better off the dribble, Artest isnt a role player and he doesnt fit that mold, he isnt the type of player who will go 5-10 when called upon, he will shoot himself into the game and theres a 50% chance that is successful, hes a talented player but his type of game doesnt fit the Lakers style, they need a Shane Battier, Trevor Ariza, a real pure shooter or good defender who makes open shots, they just got Artest who is another ball-stopper. Offensive freelancer or not, I believe he doesnt fit anywhere on the Lakers scheme.

• Owner

Decent game, not really happy with some of our guys' defensive efforts. Bynum needs to be aware of where the ball is at, and Odom can't get abused like he did against Camby and Smith. When Fisher and Brown were defending Gordon, it was either foul or let him score, and that was even the case with Telfair, who was able to get into the lane a bit easier.

Kobe played very good defense, and Ron was excellent in that regard.

Offensively, Artest wasn't hitting his shots, but he was passing the ball well, and getting into position REALLY WELL. Kobe gave us 33, shot 42.3% from the field (which he can do better), and Bynum did very well on offense, not to mention Odom's production and his ability to find his teammates for assists.

Our second unit was garbage, but I almost have to put the blame on Phil for that one, or maybe Gasol's injury, as Odom didn't play with them on the court, and all five players were part of our bottom six on the roster.

Decent game, not really happy with some of our guys' defensive efforts. Bynum needs to be aware of where the ball is at, and Odom can't get abused like he did against Camby and Smith. When Fisher and Brown were defending Gordon, it was either foul or let him score, and that was even the case with Telfair, who was able to get into the lane a bit easier.

Kobe played very good defense, and Ron was excellent in that regard.

Offensively, Artest wasn't hitting his shots, but he was passing the ball well, and getting into position REALLY WELL. Kobe gave us 33, shot 42.3% from the field (which he can do better), and Bynum did very well on offense, not to mention Odom's production and his ability to find his teammates for assists.

Our second unit was garbage, but I almost have to put the blame on Phil for that one, or maybe Gasol's injury, as Odom didn't play with them on the court, and all five players were part of our bottom six on the roster.

I think Gasol fits the Lakers like a glove, Kobe's field goal was low as a result of having to create for himself and others, Gasol who is a good passer can get some defensive attention which would take pressure off Kobe. I think Gasol is AS important as Kobe for the Lakers.

Good win for us on opening ring night. We had some struggles, but we did our business and pulled it out.

We gave up way too many second chance rebounds and points, we need to clean that up. We missed Pau's presence tonight in the paint in that regard. Kaman did a pretty good job keeping the ball alive for the Clippers, gave them some nice second chance opportunities.

Bynum played great, despite some defensive lapses here and there. So happy to see him doing well out there on the floor. Artest looked great in his debut, didn't try to do too much and just let the game come to him. Struggled a bit with his 3-point shot, but he was beasting down on the block. Loving his offensive and defensive court awareness. Odom had a great game as well, and his outside shot has improved. He's been lighting it up from 3-point range all preseason long, and it continued tonight.

Kobe looks REFRESHED. He put up an easy 33 points tonight, and he was able to conserve his energy throughout the game. Got a feeling that another regular season MVP is along the way for him. :)

The ring ceremony was awesome, and seeing that banner made me a bit teary eyed. All in all, great night.

Good win for us on opening ring night. We had some struggles, but we did our business and pulled it out.

We gave up way too many second chance rebounds and points, we need to clean that up. We missed Pau's presence tonight in the paint in that regard. Kaman did a pretty good job keeping the ball alive for the Clippers, gave them some nice second chance opportunities.

Bynum played great, despite some defensive lapses here and there. So happy to see him doing well out there on the floor. Artest looked great in his debut, didn't try to do too much and just let the game come to him. Struggled a bit with his 3-point shot, but he was beasting down on the block. Loving his offensive and defensive court awareness. Odom had a great game as well, and his outside shot has improved. He's been lighting it up from 3-point range all preseason long, and it continued tonight.

Kobe looks REFRESHED. He put up an easy 33 points tonight, and he was able to conserve his energy throughout the game. Got a feeling that another regular season MVP is along the way for him. :)

The ring ceremony was awesome, and seeing that banner made me a bit teary eyed. All in all, great night.

Wouldnt say easy considering he shots 42% :lol:

• Owner

I think Gasol fits the Lakers like a glove, Kobe's field goal was low as a result of having to create for himself and others, Gasol who is a good passer can get some defensive attention which would take pressure off Kobe. I think Gasol is AS important as Kobe for the Lakers.

Bynum draws as much defensive attention as Gasol does, when Pau isn't playing. That was proven half of the season we had Bynum BEFORE we traded for Gasol...but Odom is a significant part of our offense without Gasol as well.

Kobe is the most important player on this team, and then I would call on Gasol (because of his ability to play two positions), followed by Artest, then Odom, then Bynum.

If it wasn't for Gasol's ability to play the five, Bynum would be notched over Odom on that list, possibly over Artest.

Eventually, Ron's shooting averages will go up, but his shot attempts will decrease. With both Kobe and Gasol kicking it out to him, he'll get used to the open shots. It's a fact that ALL players hit open shots better than they do contested shots. It wouldn't make much basketball sense if they couldn't. Ron hasn't been in this position since his time with Jermaine O'Neal, but it won't be long.

Bynum draws as much defensive attention as Gasol does, when Pau isn't playing. That was proven half of the season we had Bynum BEFORE we traded for Gasol...but Odom is a significant part of our offense without Gasol as well.

Kobe is the most important player on this team, and then I would call on Gasol (because of his ability to play two positions), followed by Artest, then Odom, then Bynum.

If it wasn't for Gasol's ability to play the five, Bynum would be notched over Odom on that list, possibly over Artest.

Eventually, Ron's shooting averages will go up, but his shot attempts will decrease. With both Kobe and Gasol kicking it out to him, he'll get used to the open shots. It's a fact that ALL players hit open shots better than they do contested shots. It wouldn't make much basketball sense if they couldn't. Ron hasn't been in this position since his time with Jermaine O'Neal, but it won't be long.

Its a fact that its easier to hit open shots than contested shots, but its not a fact that all players hit them better. Artest doesnt fit under that, he honestly shoots better off the dribble than wide open shots, Artest is best suited as a 2nd option, he needs to come off the bench for the Lakers and play the 1st option for the 2nd unit, but that wont happen.

• Owner

How could it not be a fact that all players hit open shots better? If you can't hit open shots, you sure aren't going to hit contested shots, and truly contested shots are harder to hit than open threes most of the time.

Ron will be fine. He can miss six shots out of the nine he takes, and it doesn't matter because we have Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum who can all come out and score 20-25+ points at any given time.

How could it not be a fact that all players hit open shots better? If you can't hit open shots, you sure aren't going to hit contested shots, and truly contested shots are harder to hit than open threes most of the time.

Ron will be fine. He can miss six shots out of the nine he takes, and it doesn't matter because we have Kobe, Gasol, Odom, and Bynum who can all come out and score 20-25+ points at any given time.

he's saying that ron shoots better off the dribble, rather than set shots. makes sense.

Edited by Himuki

Well good shot efficiency helps in close games, this might screw the Lakers if they lose by 1-2, which could happen more often than last year. Did the Lakers even lose 1-2 point games?

• Owner

he's saying that ron shoots better off the dribble, rather than set shots. makes sense.

I know, and he does because he's used to that, since being in Sacramento and Houston. Before, he could land shots with Jermaine kicking it out to him. It'll come back. I don't have to worry about Ron's shooting.

I know, and he does because he's used to that, since being in Sacramento and Houston. Before, he could land shots with Jermaine kicking it out to him. It'll come back. I don't have to worry about Ron's shooting.

true, you can't expect him to come in and fit like a glove right off the bat. with more games/practices under his belt i'm sure he'll get used to it.

true, you can't expect him to come in and fit like a glove right off the bat. with more games/practices under his belt i'm sure he'll get used to it.

He obviously wont fit like a glove off the bat but the question is whether he will fit at all, he didnt fit into the Rockets scheme in an entire year, Artest needs to find his shot though.

• Owner

Well good shot efficiency helps in close games, this might screw the Lakers if they lose by 1-2, which could happen more often than last year. Did the Lakers even lose 1-2 point games?

You're digging to find a reason why the Lakers will lose more this season. Good shot efficiency helps in ALL games.

We were 4-4 in games decided by two points or less. I'm not sure how that matters. When we win OR lose close games, you can point to something going wrong, a lot of times it'll be our defense or our shots not falling.

Ron isn't going to handle or shoot the ball much with two minutes to go in the game. That will be Kobe, Gasol and Fisher.

One thing you're forgetting, though: Trevor Ariza wasn't a spot-up shooter, either. His best shots fell off the dribble. Ask Knicks and Magic fans. Midway through the season, Ariza was drilling threes off of Kobe and Gasol passes, like it was nothing, and he became a threat from downtown near the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Players change their game based on the teammates they are playing with. When you are teammates with a Kobe Bryant and a Pau Gasol (and Bynum, and Odom, and to some extent, Fisher), you will adjust accordingly without noticing it. Ariza did, and Artest will.

You're digging to find a reason why the Lakers will lose more this season. Good shot efficiency helps in ALL games.

We were 4-4 in games decided by two points or less. I'm not sure how that matters. When we win OR lose close games, you can point to something going wrong, a lot of times it'll be our defense or our shots not falling.

Ron isn't going to handle or shoot the ball much with two minutes to go in the game. That will be Kobe, Gasol and Fisher.

One thing you're forgetting, though: Trevor Ariza wasn't a spot-up shooter, either. His best shots fell off the dribble. Ask Knicks and Magic fans. Midway through the season, Ariza was drilling threes off of Kobe and Gasol passes, like it was nothing, and he became a threat from downtown near the end of the season and in the playoffs.

Players change their game based on the teammates they are playing with. When you are teammates with a Kobe Bryant and a Pau Gasol (and Bynum, and Odom, and to some extent, Fisher), you will adjust accordingly without noticing it. Ariza did, and Artest will.

I dont care this year about what team performs well considering my team is likely a top candidate for the John Wall sweepstakes, unless T-Mac comes back a beast to be reckoned with which is about a 9.94858% chance.

Of course when you lose game you can point to horrible shooting or defense :lol:, theres no other ways to (unless its turnovers). Trevor Ariza worked on his 3 point shot because he knew that he was going to need it in his arsenal to do good for the Lakers. I dont think Artest will fit into his new role but its whatever, I think its a 25% chance he manages to adapt.