Dirk left off the All-Star team would make NBA history

Real Deal

• Owner
The Dallas Mavericks seem to thrive when the odds are stacked against them so maybe if Dirk Nowitzki is not selected as an All-Star reserve they can use it as motivation.

Because if the Western Conference coaches leave him off the team and end his run of All-Star appearances at 10 in a row, the Mavs will make NBA history. Never before has the reigning NBA champion not been represented on the All-Star team*. Nor has there ever been a champion crowned that did not have at least one player make the All-Star team that season, ESPN Research confirmed (and that includes the ABA on both counts).

The first NBA All-Star game was played in 1951. The seven reserves for the 2012 Western and Eastern conference squads will be announced Thursday night. The All-Star Game is Feb. 26 in Orlando.

"That would be crazy," Mavs guard Jason Terry said. "Dirk has to be there. I think he will be. If he’s not, I know he needs the rest, too. I’d love to see him in the game just because he’s earned it. Some guys are grandfathered in. You’ve seen that throughout the history of the NBA. Guys like Tim Duncan, primarily his stats aren’t always what they were, but just because he’s a perennial All-Star; Shaq, same thing."

Duncan's run of 13 consecutive All-Star games is likely to come to an end. Same for Kevin Garnett's run of 14 in a row. Nowitzki's sluggish start has put his streak in jeopardy, too. He's had a two-game bounce-back, scoring 54 points on 21-of-32 shooting entering tonight's game at Denver.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4684751/no-dirk-nowitzki-in-asg-would-make-nba-history

• Like 1

Stupid that he actually got on the All-Star reserves... He definitely hasn't played like an All-Star and if I remember correctly, he has even come out and said that he didn't want to be in it. He could have used the rest anyway.