Obama Abusing His Powers As Usual

I'll admit I skimmed the article, but required birth control coverage is a bad thing?

The Catholic faith doesn't believe in birth control. Why should the government be meddling in their business like that anyways though?

I'll admit I skimmed the article, but required birth control coverage is a bad thing?

The problem is that they are trying to require it for Catholic schools and religious institutions, and contraceptives are against their beliefs, so it becomes an issue of separation of church and state.

So, it's just another example of Obama trying to rip up the U.S. Constitution and every current law we have......

The Catholic faith doesn't believe in birth control.

Then nobody will be getting the birth control, right? So what's the issue? Something like 62% of Catholics back this thing, and that's with only a 38% backing by Catholic men.

Why should the government be meddling in their business like that anyways though?

Isn't this thing going country-wide? Why should they be exempt? Birth control should be available to any woman who wants it.

Here's a solid quote:

Finally, the only "religious freedom" that's being violated here is the freedom for religions to simultaneously be really bad at convincing their female followers that birth control is evil and still expect their employees to have to pay more than everyone else for contraception. Obviously, women on religious hospital or university plans are free to not use birth control, if their faith is that important to them.
  • Like 1

The problem is that they are trying to require it for Catholic schools and religious institutions, and contraceptives are against their beliefs, so it becomes an issue of separation of church and state.

He isn't forcing women to consume birth control, he's making it available for them if they so choose.. just like they're doing for the rest of the women across the country. There is no separation of church and state issue here, unless the availability of a choice is Obama forcing them to use birth control.

Then nobody will be getting the birth control, right? So what's the issue? Something like 62% of Catholics back this thing, and that's with only a 38% backing by Catholic men.

Isn't this thing going country-wide? Why should they be exempt? Birth control should be available to any woman who wants it.

Here's a solid quote:

I'm not quite sure you understand what the issue at hand is......

You are absolutely right that I don't, I have no idea at all what the issue is.

Well, you obviously don't. It's Obama overstepping his powers again.

It looks like contraceptives have been working really well......

vhttp://www.businessinsider.com/time-to-admit-it-the-church-has-always-been-right-on-birth-control-2012-2

It's just more people that will soon be on welfare getting free handouts from Obama.

I have NO problems with contraceptives, but let Church's make their own decisions.

Well, you obviously don't. It's Obama overstepping his powers again.

By making options available to women across the country regardless of religious belief or background?

I have NO problems with contraceptives, but let Church's make their own decisions.

The members of the church are free to do whatever they please. Nobody is forcing contraceptives on them. They are just making them available, if they choose to use it.

By making options available to women across the country regardless of religious belief or background?

The members of the church are free to do whatever they please. Nobody is forcing contraceptives on them. They are just making them available, if they choose to use it.

You still don't seem to get it, as usual.

Obama should have no power, to FORCE a PRIVATE institution to PROVIDE contraceptives to its employees. That is overstepping his boundaries.

This isn't an issue for government run businesses and institutions. This is dealing with PRIVATE, RELIGIOUS based institutions that he is forcing to provide contraceptives, which are against their beliefs.

This is just one more step in his quest for Obamacare and his power-trip.

Edited by EastCoastNiner

The government is paying for the contraceptives, right? So he is saying that they provide them to their employees/members or whatever if they want them. I don't see the problem. I guess it is anti-American to promote a healthy lifestyle

You still don't seem to get it, as usual.

When you're able to handle a debate like an adult, I'd be happy to get back into this. I read no further than this.

Until then.. I'll just leave the thread with a few quotes from women (you know, the affected party):

It is telling that the opposition to the rule is coming primarily from religious leaders and not from women. It is notable that those in the administration supporting the rule are women.

Hospitals are not exempt from the rule because their primary purpose is health care, not teaching religion. But the rule applies only to insurance coverage for employees, and Catholic hospitals will still be allowed to impose their view and to deny full reproductive care to all female patients, including rape victims.

Adequate reproductive care for women has never been a priority for the Catholic bishops. Catholic women ignore the bishops and make decisions based on their own health care needs.

The administration is to be praised for supporting good health care for all women, even in this limited instance.

KARLINE K. TIERNEY

Catonsville, Md., Feb. 8, 2012

As a social worker who has worked in reproductive health for more than 30 years — having seen Catholic schoolgirls coming in for pregnancy tests in the 1970s, straight from their days at parochial schools, where sexuality and birth control were never part of the discussion, through my work in adoption where the Catholic girls have provided babies for infertile couples for way too many years — I am grateful for President Obama’s decision that requires Catholic institutions to provide contraception for their employees.

The surest way to a lifetime of poverty is to have a young single woman have a child she is not prepared to provide for. Mr. Brooks is not doing anyone a favor by supporting these policies that are part of the male church hierarchy and have no benefit for women.

RANDIE BENCANANN

San Francisco, Feb. 7, 2012

As a former employee of a Catholic-run hospital, I find it appalling and inexplicable that the party of “individual rights” would stand up for a religious bias rather than for the non-Catholic employees who are deprived of the right to choose health insurance commensurate with their private needs and beliefs.

Why should I not be allowed birth control through my insurance because my boss has a problem with it?

KRIS LONG

Arvada, Colo., Feb. 7, 2012

The writer is a nurse practitioner.

Again, the majority of those opposing this are Catholic men.. the unaffected sex. Those who have no stake in this other than to back some prehistoric ideal. Just something to think about.

Edited by #linsanity

Its just not right for government to interfere with a private institution like that. Not only that, but the government shouldn't be spending money on providing birth control to people. Let them go get it on their own. They're wasting money we don't have.

<br class="Apple-interchange-newline">The government is paying for the contraceptives, right? So he is saying that they provide them to their employees/members or whatever if they want them. I don't see the problem. I guess it is anti-American to promote a healthy lifestyle

Its not the government's job to promote any lifestyle either.

uhhh the government should be promoting to people to live a healthy life since parents do an AWFUL job of it. when i moved to clay county in FL, i was appalled to realize that kids here are not given proper sex ed in school. if you don't teach the kids about sex and their bodies, they will have to learn on their own, and we all know what will happen if they do that. i knew a girl who's mother refused to get her on the pill even though it would be advantageous for her to be on it. luckily for her, her step-mother wasn't a psychotic bitch and put her on it.

making our country healthier isn't bad, and if you argue it is, you are truly a nut.

How is giving people an option abusing power?

liberals are doing it so it must be bad

funny since these two people(flash and ecn) are the same ones that try to argue that Islam is evil toward women, yet they have no problem with Catholic men forcing women to not be able to get the health coverage they want.

Edited by Lkr

liberals are doing it so it must be bad

funny since these two people(flash and ecn) are the same ones that try to argue that Islam is evil toward women, yet they have no problem with Catholic men forcing women to not be able to get the health coverage they want.

Catholic women can do what they want. That doesn't mean they need to get contraceptives through the church.

Herp derp.

Brb, building a "community center", aka a Mosque next to ground zero. Genius idea!

Catholic women can do what they want. That doesn't mean they need to get contraceptives through the church.

If they want them, why not make them available? Churches aren't the only thing this applies to as you know

It should be the Church's decision, not the governments. Not only does it violate separation of church and state like ECN said, but its also the government telling a private institution how to operate and forcing them to do something.

Maybe because the "Church" as a whole does not believe in contraceptives?

Why doesn't the church just provide Qur'an's and Torah's while they're at it?

Soon enough any Church associated with Christ will be forced to do this. Just watch.

Edited by Flash