New Orleans @ San Antonio

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Owner

For some reason, the Hornets just don't look the same (based on the preseason, at least), and their play last season seemed to be lackluster at times. I'm wondering how big of an impact Emeka will have over Chandler, who was the perfect complimentary player to Chris Paul.

The Spurs are at home, and they have everyone healthy. If they lose this game, it would be a cause of concern for me if I was Popovich, even though it's the first game of the year. The Hornets aren't exactly your clear-cut favorites in any individual player match-ups against the Spurs, not even the Parker/Paul match-up. However, there's nobody on the Hornets that can handle Manu off the bench, and I don't see Emeka or West giving Duncan any trouble, as he's well-rested and healthy for the first time in a while.

Spurs should take this game by 8-9 points.

The Hornets are making a little run here, trying to get back in this game. Okafor scored on three straight possessions, and now Peja just nailed a three. I doubt the Spurs would completely collapse, but in this league you never know. Let's see how the Spurs respond to this Hornets run.

• Owner

Yeah, New Orleans made that attempt to get back in it two or three times, but the Spurs are just too damn consistent on both sides of the ball. Oh, and it doesn't help that Manu Ginobili is back. Technically, he has to be their biggest "pick up" in the offseason, since he's been injured for two years now.

What I liked about this game is the contributions made by the Spurs' supporting cast. Last year, Duncan and Parker would be required to score 20-25 apiece -- and even then, you'd still need Mason, Bonner, or Finley, etc. to step up in order to get a hard-fought victory. Last night, the Spurs' Big Three scored a combined 42 points:

Parker - 17 points in 26 minutes

Ginobili - 16 points in 24 minutes

Duncan - 9 points in 22 minutes

Four role players scored in double digits, and the rookie DeJuan Blair put up an impressive and very efficient 14 points and 11 rebounds. Free agent pickup Richard Jefferson was held to five. Once he gets adapted to this offense, he'll add another dimension to this team.

It's looking to be a great season. Spurs play the Bulls tonight, hopefully they can improve to 2-0.