Forget the Doubters: Linsanity Is No Joke

Legacy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/573/909/138541210_crop_650x440.jpg?1329363946

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for the past few weeks, you must have heard of a dude by the name of Jeremy Lin. Yeah, he sleeps on his brother’s couch. Yeah, he went undrafted and was cut by a couple of below .500 teams. Yeah, he has led the New York Knicks to a seven game winning streak.

Lin was not offered to go to Harvard on a basketball scholarship. Although he has game on the court, he also has a 4.2 grade point average, which can make him and Stanford guard Landry Fields the smartest backcourt in the NBA.

Enough of the intelligence, though. Lin has true skill. Some call this seven game array a fluke, I call it a taste and preview of what’s to come for the next few years in the league.

Lin was cut from the Golden State Warriors and the Houston Rockets, two teams that are kicking themselves for making the decision. He was also sent to the D-League by the Knicks, but came back after putting up a triple double in a game.

However, Lin was still riding the end of the bench, not knowing whether he would stay with the team. He considered quitting pro basketball for a while, and to train for a chance to be more than the 12th man in the line-up.

Lin did get his call, though. During half-time of a game, star player Carmelo Anthony talked to coach Mike D’Antoni and pitched for the young Harvard guard to get more playing time. With D’Antoni listening to Anthony, the Knicks have yet to lose a game with Lin in the starting lineup.

What’s more impressive is the numbers that the Asian-American born player has put up. 38 points in one game, 13 assists in another, going toe-to-toe with a guy named Kobe Bryant, and hitting a game winner in another country against the Toronto Raptors.

A guy that was being released by sub-par teams is now the current most popular player in the league at the moment. His jersey sales have sky-rocketed, making his jersey the number one most selling for a week. Even his Twitter followers have gone through the roof; he has doubled what he had at the start of the season to now over 300,000 and counting.

He has been averaging over 25 points per game, nearly 10 assists, four rebounds, all while shooting 50 percent from the field.

It’s a shame that a player such as Lin’s caliber will not be at the All-Star Weekend so far for this season, but who knows what kind of tricks the league has up their sleeve.

With trends such as “Lin-sanity," “Lin-tastic," “Linning," and more, it’s got to be a good feeling for the underdog, Lin.

Many people are comparing the Lin story to Tim Tebow’s, which is not even close. Tebow went to a big time school and went down as one of the better college players of all time, unlike Lin, who played for a non-basketball school. Lin also went undrafted, while all the hype was around Tebow in the NFL draft. And unlike Tebow, Lin can actually pass the ball.

It is hard to say how Lin will play when Carmelo and Amar’e Stoudemire are both in the line-up, but I think it’s safe to say that they have found themselves the point guard that they were looking for. They can forget about the Chris Paul and Deron Williams sweepstakes now.

The NBA is now a point guard league, and looks to stay that way for a while. Some call this streak a fluke, well those people will have to get ready to hear more about Linsanity for many more years to come.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1068188-forget-the-doubters-linsanity-is-no-joke

I am excited to be home this week so I will have some free time from school and more than 1 sports channel so hopefully i can finally watch this kid play. I am reluctant to crown him an all-star after 6 NBA starts, and there are numerous other players who should be at all-star weekend before him.

I still find it crazy that if he had this much talent, how did his talents not be observed in practice on either Golden State or Houston? I think D'antoni or one of the guys in New york must have given him a few tips or something that really helped his game.