Ed Davis or Amir Johnson?

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With Jonas coming over next year, and Bargnani not moving anytime soon (presumably), and us probably not getting Drummond or Davis, which guy do you think we should keep?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=davised01&y1=2012&p2=johnsam01&y2=2012

Ed is 22 but only in his 2nd year, whereas Amir is 24 in his 7th season now. Davis is also only in the 2nd year of his entry level contract where Amir is in the 2nd year of his 5 year deal paying him more than 5M per season on average. Davis showed nice upside last year averaging a really solid 8 points and 7 boards and 1 block in 24.6 minutes a night. Only problem is that it seems he has taken a step back this year, shooting .483 from the field (.576 last year) and going down in every other category.

Per 36 Amir and Davis are almost identical, both around 10 and 10 players, the only difference is that Amir literally cannot play that many minutes because he averages almost 6 fouls per 36, where Ed averages 4, but Amir is the more efficient of the two this year.

On the trade market though, you have to think Davis is the more valuable of the two, and their production is seemingly the same. This raises the question, do you try and move Davis along with other pieces in a package to fill a hole (point guard?) in the off-season, or do you hold onto him and hope he can become that Antonio Davis type of big man in Toronto (statistically), which would in all likelihood spell the end for Amir.

Edited by Check my Stats

I think Ed is more talented and will be the better player in the long run, but I'd probably keep Amir simply because I think you could get more for Ed. With Bargnani/Valanciunas as the likely long term 4/5 duo, I'd rather cash in on Davis' value in hopes of filling a more pressing need elsewhere (ideally small forward or point guard) than sitting on the bench. Amir has proven to be a very good energy big during his time with Toronto and is exactly the kind of player you want coming off your bench.

I'd be perfectly fine with either one of them, though. They are both really similar players who give you a lot of the same things.

I agree that one of them will have to go eventually since neither of them really have any go-to post up moves nor can either shoot the ball from range very well. At this point I'd take Amir because: he is stronger, hussles for every play (which = off reb), and knows how to cut hard off the pick. As for Davis, we now have a better look at him after so many people over hyped him a year ago. He is fairly similar to Johnson except Amir can do everything he does better. Davis still has some upside if he can develop his body and develop his post game, I basically see him as a very frail Center.