Starting Lineup of the NBA's Worst Starters

Legacy

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/935/407/106502339_crop_650x440.jpg?1329642557

Making it to the National Basketball Association seems like an impossible task. Starting in the league seems ever harder. You have to be the top of top, best of the best.

There are 30 teams in the NBA and five starters for each team. That means only 150 people out of the billions of people in the entire world star for a pro NBA team.

But out of these 150 players, there are some that make you wonder if they should be in the starting lineup or riding the bench.

There are five guys that stand out in each position—either because of the lack of a better player at the position, the coach’s decision or maybe even some flat out luck.

Let’s take a look at the starting lineup of the “should not be a starter” team, the only lineup they should be starting in...

Point Guard: Derek Fisher

Scottie Pippen will go down as being Michael Jordan’s “sidekick”, but at least he was a Hall-of-Famer in his own right. Fisher, on the other hand, will go down as Kobe Bryant’s sidekick, who hit some clutch shots here and there.

Fisher has always been a good locker room guy, veteran leader and a guy who can make big-time shots. However, he should not start another game for the rest of his career. He is 37 years old and has a lot of wear and tear on his body. He does not shoot the ball as well as he used to, shooting 36 percent from the field, 26 percent on threes and barely 80 percent on his free throws.

He’s never been known as much of a playmaker, but you would still expect more than three assists a game from a guy playing alongside Kobe. Fisher’s defense has also gotten worse and should continue to as the condensed season goes on.

Shooting Guard: Wesley Johnson

You have Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio and Johnson. What’s wrong with this picture and who does not belong? Wesley Johnson.

Being picked fourth in the draft last year, Johnson looked like he would have a solid career after a decent rookie season. Little did we know he would take the sophomore slump to a whole other level. Shooting percentages have dropped heavily for him, and his scoring total has gone from nine a game to nearly six.

This is what happens when a player cannot create on his his own and enters the league late. Johnson is already nearly 25 years old and into his second season. The fourth pick of the draft is not looking too well for David Khan right now, especially if he keeps starting.

Small Forward: Metta World Peace

Although his starts have been inconsistent like his play this year, World Peace, formerly known as Ron Artest, cannot be omitted from this list.

Sure he plays some defense, but he is nowhere near the level of back in the day when he would get into his opponents head (or pants, ask Paul Pierce). His shot selection and shooting has been awful: 33 percent from the field, 20 percent from beyond the arc and shooting from the charity stripe like a big man at 51 percent.

It’s weird how two of the Lakers’ starters are on this list. Does that mean the 2005-2006 Kobe has to come back? We’ll save that for another article.

Power Forward: Boris Diaw

As talented as Diaw is, he is unfortunately just as lazy. Not a good look for a player who’s one of the oldest on a young Bobcats team.

Diaw settles for long jumpers instead of using post moves to try and draw a foul. He’s also extremely inconsistent. One night he has potential to have a triple double while on other nights he does not even score a point.

He chose to put himself on this list. Diaw has the skill to be a very decent player and good leader for Charlotte, but he chooses too often to play half-heartedly, which results in poor performances: not the attitude you want for a starter.

Center: Andris Biedrins

At one point, Biedrins had potential to become a top center in the Western Conference. Ever since Don Nelson ruined his confidence, Biedrins has not been the same.

He is arguably the world's worst free-throw shooter of all-time. He cannot guard any other center in the league without help. He has no more than one post move, and that's his unreliable hook shot.

When you have Kwame Brown on the verge of stealing the starting spot from you, that’s when you know you should not be starting on an NBA roster.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1071760-starting-line-up-of-the-nbas-worst-starters

Edited by Legacy

I would replace MWP with DeShawn Stevenson.

I was gonna disagree with you but when I saw that Deshawn Stevenson is averaging 2.8 ppg in 13 of 22 starts, you're pretty much correct.

Its also funny (though I agree) that Biedrins on this list even though his overall field goal % is 64%, he shud be taking 8 shots a night.

Edited by Yugo696969

I was gonna disagree with you but when I saw that Deshawn Stevenson is averaging 2.8 ppg in 13 of 22 starts, you're pretty much correct.

He plays very similar to MWP... except for the fact that he is worse at everything besides 3pt shooting

He plays very similar to MWP... except for the fact that he is worse at everything besides 3pt shooting

ehh, I would agree. It can go either way, but I expected a lot more from World Peace. Dude has talent, he's just bum. Both of them are.

Biedrins is a sad story right now, lol. -_-

It really is crazy how bad Biedrins became. Dude averaged 12 and 11 one year for crying out loud.

I read somebody the other day (Simmons, maybe?) who said that his game was completely wrecked by his inability to shoot free throws.. totally altered the way he played. Plays nervous now. I can see that being partially true.. thoughts?

I read somebody the other day (Simmons, maybe?) who said that his game was completely wrecked by his inability to shoot free throws.. totally altered the way he played. Plays nervous now. I can see that being partially true.. thoughts?

He's one of the most unconfident players there is right now. He's scared to shoot because of the chance that he might get fouled. Going to the free throw line for him has been pretty pathetic and embarrassing. He gets nervous and plays with no aggression.

The decrease in performance for MWP is just startling from what it was a few years ago in Houston. I mean I guess playing with 4 other guys who are going to get the ball first will do that, but it is still crazy to see it drop SO LOW. He should also be posting up more in Mike Brown's offense

The decrease in performance for MWP is just startling from what it was a few years ago in Houston. I mean I guess playing with 4 other guys who are going to get the ball first will do that, but it is still crazy to see it drop SO LOW. He should also be posting up more in Mike Brown's offense

artest declined so much because after winning the first championship, he just doesn't care anymore. remember when we first signed him, he would have pictures and videos of himself working out on twitter? he sure as hell doesnt post that anymore. his first year here, when we won the championship, he used to always boast about how in shape he was. i remember reading an article that he would workout before games that year to get his legs tired, and then play the game on tired legs to push himself defensively. we dont see that level of dedication anymore. i mean, if he showed up out of shape on dancing with the stars (he could hardly breathe after his performance) what makes you think he will be ready for the basketball season? he was more out of shape than all the other celebrities on the show and hes the professional athelete. its obvious he hasnt worked on his game at all. he seems more interested in being a comedian now than anything else.

either way, ill always like artest no matter what. he led us down the stretch in game 7 and i wont trade that for anything. just wish he would put in the time to work on his basketball game, or at the very least lose some weight and get into shape. at this rate though, we will probably amnesty him in the offseason.

Edited by The Artesticle