Ken Berger: Lakers front office in disarray

Dash

Kobe Bryant spoke, and his words carried all the way back to Los Angeles, and beyond.

He spoke up for his teammate, Pau Gasol, in the hopes that his words would bring some sort of closure to the novella surrounding the Spaniard's future with the Lakers. Bryant likes Gasol, wants him to stay with the Lakers, but enough is enough with the limbo.

"When Kobe speaks up, it means things are getting bad," said a person with ties to the Lakers superstar. "It means nobody's telling him anything."

But there were other motives behind Bryant's words, and people familiar with how things have been running within the Lakers organization believe it's about time somebody unleashed those words and the motives behind them. General manager Mitch Kupchak issued a written statement Monday night responding to Bryant's rant, essentially saying the only thing that could be said: Management will explore trades, and to say otherwise would be futile and detrimental to the team.

But Kupchak was not the intended target of Bryant's profanity-laced screed Sunday night in Phoenix, when he said of trading Gasol, "If they're going to do something, I wish they would just (expletive) do it. If they're not going to do it, come out and say you're not going to do it."

As a practical matter, this can't be done; the Magic have stated publicly they're not trading Dwight Howard, and that hasn't stopped the maelstrom, hasn't stopped the offers from rolling in. But the real motivation behind Bryant going public was to shed light on the dysfunctional, borderline comical way the Lakers are handling their basketball business and hope it prompts someone to fix it.

So here it is: The Lakers' front office is an uncommunicative, rudderless fiasco, and the unrest and paranoia that have been festering for years threaten to derail the team's plans to ride Bryant to his sixth NBA title while they still can. And much of it can be traced to the growing influence of executive vice president Jim Buss, the owner's bon vivant son, who has helped transform a great franchise into a steaming pool of nepotism and nincompoops.

In the months leading up to the lockout, the Lakers got rid of assistant general manager Ronnie Lester and most of his scouts. Rudy Garciduenas, the equipment manager for nearly 30 years, was let go. Alex McKechie, a renowned sports science expert, was told to pack up and was quickly scooped up by the Raptors. International scout Adam Fillippi wound up with the Bobcats.

The list goes on. Longtime associates of former coach Phil Jackson were let go as the Lakers tried to "wash off anything that had touched" the decorated coach, a person with ties to the front office said. Brian Shaw, Bryant's preference to succeed Jackson, was interviewed for the job but came away with the clear impression that any efforts to associate himself with Jackson would "hurt him, not help him," a coaching industry source said.

None of these people, who formed what a longtime NBA executive called one of the best front office staffs in the league, was given the courtesy of knowing whether they would be brought back after the lockout ended. Some are still waiting for that phone call.

Joey Buss, another son of the owner who runs the team's D-League franchise, has moved into Jackson's old office. Jesse Buss, 23, who was arrested for alcohol intoxication in Lexington, Ky., on a "scouting" trip in December, has moved into Lester's former office.

Not that anyone supposedly doing scouting or other basketball work is seen much around the team's facilities these days. Jim Buss, who supposedly is the team's director of player personnel, is virtually unreachable -- including by me. He didn't respond to my request for comment through the team's media relations department, and his direct number is not listed in the Lakers directory that is distributed to teams. Even people who work in the basketball operations department have "no clue who's on the staff," said a person with direct knowledge of the organization's structure.

"It would be interesting to find out who's doing the scouting," the person said.

Kupchak tried to fight to keep his staff, and his efforts were appreciated by some and viewed as not enough by others. The GM is "on an island by himself," said another person familiar with the situation.

"He doesn't know who to trust anymore," said another.

The advance pro scout, Clay Moser, was brought on board by coach Mike Brown. Of the three college scouts listed in the Lakers' media guide, Ryan West -- Jerry's son -- is the only one with a résumé and a workload. The others are Jesse Buss, who's currently unable to travel due to an injured leg, and a guy known throughout the organization simply as "Chaz." His name in the media guide is Charles Osborne, and supposedly he's a nice guy.

"A good guy," said a person who has dealt with the Lakers' front-office dysfunction in various management roles with other teams. "Great bartender."

That's right, the book on Chaz is that he's a former bartender who also happens to be longtime friends with Jim Buss from their days in the horseracing business. But if you're looking in bars and racetracks, you're much more likely to find a sports writer to chronicle this circus than a viable trade option for Gasol...

...The Lakers are a mess, have been decaying for a few years now. Once one of the finest and classiest organizations in sports, it is no longer a fun place to work, to put it mildly. From the Odom salary dump to nearly the entire scouting staff being thrown overboard, pennies are being pinched at a time when the Lakers have entered a 20-year regional cable deal worth a reported $3 billion.

"For such a storied franchise, supposedly first class and all that, it's not what you think behind the bars there," said the person who has dealt with the Lakers as a longtime executive with other teams. "It's overrated."

And in trouble. And if Bryant was trying to wake people up -- "embarrass" them, as he told the New York Post in December when describing the motivation behind his infamous 2007 trade demand -- it was a good try. Kupchak is just trying to hold what's left of the organization together, putting out statements and putting out fires. But no one else is around to listen, and so this one might blaze for a while.

"The other GMs know what's going on," said one of the people familiar with the Lakers' chaos. "Jim has no relationships with other GMs, and they also know they're going to be able to swoop in there and do things [in trades]. This is a real critical time. The chances of Dwight Howard coming in there are slim and none at this point."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/17362549/kobes-frustration-a-reflection-on-lakers-deteriorating-front-office

and a guy known throughout the organization simply as "Chaz." His name in the media guide is Charles Osborne, and supposedly he's a nice guy.

i [expletive]ing laughed my ass off at this. i just don't understand why the Lakers are pinching pennies though, and why the hell wasn't Jeannie given control of the team? Why is Jim Buss so bitter about the success of Phil Jackson?

• Owner

Simply put, Jim Buss thinks Drew is the future superstar, and everyone else on the team is exchangeable...and that includes everyone that doesn't believe it on the coaching staff and in the front office. Kupchak is no exception, either. Kobe and Jim have never seen eye-to-eye.

Sadly, I'm not surprised at any of this. I saw it coming from miles away. I would have rather seen Jeanie take over the team, even if she supposedly has no idea how to evaluate basketball talent (which is probably just something people have said because she's female).

unlike everyone else, im going to give jim buss some time to prove himself before i bash him. lets not forget that under his command we pulled off a trade for chris paul, which many speculated couldve led to us acquiring dwight howard. im sure if that had gone down everyone in LA would be praising him and kissing his ass. not his fault stern decided to screw us over and reject the trade. obviously on the surface, according to the article, things dont look too good, but im not going to start bashing anybody yet. the lamar odom trade pissed me off, but we have yet to see what we're going to acquire with the trade exception, which expires next year, so until that's gone, we can't really evaluate the true value of the odom trade. so in all, im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. i highly doubt the front office is as big of a mess as the article is trying to portray, obviously things are going to be different than when dr. buss was running things, and nobody likes change. but if jim buss is really messing around all day [expletive]ing up the organization, and everything his father has built for so many years, i have a difficult time believing dr buss would just sit there and let things happen, while his sons destroy everything and put a mockery to the family name.

^ I don't think you and Lkr understood what I meant. Anyhow, back on topic -- seems like Mitch is trying to make some changes:

Report: Lakers like Beasley:

While we may not see many trades occur before the week of the March 15 deadline, discussions are taking place in front offices throughout the league. Here's some of the scuttlebutt I've heard:

The Lakers' front office knows Kobe Bryant is looking for it to improve the roster, and GM Mitch Kupchak has been working the phones. He's spoken to Minnesota about Michael Beasley, and sources say the Lakers are intrigued by the Timberwolves' small forward. The Lakers were actually in discussions with Minnesota about a potential trade for Beasley before the season started. If they would have been able to pull off the deal for Chris Paul, there is a good chance that a trade for Beasley would have followed.

Full Story

I really like Beasley, he has so much potential to be a great player but something is holding him back. May be with the right team he will straighten up. And try to get better. I mean, 6'10 SF and can slide to the PF at times. he's young, he is only 23 years old. Can get you around 6 rebounds at Sf but still need to get better at that a little. So there is a lot of improving he has to do. Still need to learn how to give up the ball, play defense. But, wouldn't trade him straight up for Pau though. I would love to see Beasley in a Laker jersey though because he can score the ball.

Edited by Hayes1
  • Like 1

He’s only 23 years old! Beasley is still a young guy, he's a great athlete. He’s still learning. He’s got all the tools, but he’s still learning how to use them. And needs to try to improve and get better himself. I think he is really similar to Kevin Durant (of course Durant is matter though). He is immature, but he's still young so he'll mature, defiantly with Kobe by his side. Beasley would thrive in the Lakers environment. I believe the Lakers can handle a player like Beasley because of their winning culture and the leadership of Bryant too just like what the article said. Plus, T-Wolves are trying to unload Beasley and we might get him for nothing but a pick or something. Beasley can create his own shot which would be a huge asset and as recently as last season he averaged over 19 pts per game. Beasley isn't a great defender, but with Mike Brown coaching, I'm pretty sure he'll fit in with the Lakers defense because he's long, but he has to give us effort and I think Kobe can help with that. So Lakers it's your move. You can get someone that is young and mold him with Bynum, now u have a young C and SF and they both can still improve their games. Or can be like the Boston.

Edit: Little excited :lol:

Edited by Hayes1

I mean, 6'10 SF and can slide to the PF at times.

This is the issue. He has the physical tools of a PF, but the skills of a SF. In theory that sounds like an advantage, but in reality it is a disadvantage. His primary skillset is as a perimeter scorer, but he's simply not very good at it, and at SF he doesn't have the speed to really blow by his defender (and defensively doesn't have great lateral quickness). The common sense approach there is to slide him in at PF, but he lacks the rebounding and post defense to be effective there (and he's a tiny bit undersized as well).

Similar issue as guys like Josh Smith and Jeff Green.

Pau is just too consistent and isn't a headcase. I would MUCH rather have a mature player like Pau, despite whatever his shortcomings may be, in comparison to a player that at times seems rather immature and puts up a worse FGA-points ratios than Kobe

42% 3-point shooting from the SF position would go a long way to freeing up the lane for Pau and Andrew and Kobe. Beasley would make that shot.

how are we getting Beasley without giving up Pau? If we don't give up anyone besides Barnes and MWP or both, I don't have a problem with it

the Lakers could absorb Beasley into their $8.9 million trade exception while giving up a draft pick or cash. Minnesota is looking to move Beasley, who they feel has matured very little.

42% 3-point shooting from the SF position would go a long way to freeing up the lane for Pau and Andrew and Kobe. Beasley would make that shot.

He's only taking 2 attempts per game, and he's shooting at a percentage that I'm inclined to believe is an abberation. Regardless, you can get better 3pt shooters AND keep the Kobe/Bynum/Gasol core intact by avoiding this trade.

And even if he can hit that 3, his TS% of .482 has got to be among the 5-10 worst in all of the NBA by players who take over 10 FGA per game. And once again, he's a tweener, which comes with a whole other set of problems.

well that is what i get for not reading. if he comes over for free, i have no problem since we lack offense at the starting SF position. his defensive liability won't be too much of a problem if he is splitting a lot of time with Barnes and MWP

He's only taking 2 attempts per game, and he's shooting at a percentage that I'm inclined to believe is an abberation. Regardless, you can get better 3pt shooters AND keep the Kobe/Bynum/Gasol core intact by avoiding this trade.

And even if he can hit that 3, his TS% of .482 has got to be among the 5-10 worst in all of the NBA by players who take over 10 FGA per game. And once again, he's a tweener, which comes with a whole other set of problems.

Doesn't matter, just mean he likes taking shots, something that we need. He can create his own shot. Of course he is not going to take that many shots with Kobe playing along side of him, but pretty sure we need it when it's just Bynum and Beasley on the floor and our only two scores, when Pau and Kobe are on the bench. Plus he is still 23 years old! He can improve in that area. Plus i feel like he'll have a whole new attitude and need to adjust to how we're playing. Add some scoring from the SF position.

Edit: A team like the lakers would keep him in line. you never know..he could be a surprise change of pace. NBA needs to start trusting these young guys. It's like if they don't play awesome the first year you cut him the next. Hell look at Jeremy Lin.

Edited by Hayes1

• Owner

The Wolves are really set on getting Gasol, and I have a feeling they are going to try and offer us Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley for Gasol, Goudelock and a first round pick (and Minny includes fillers, of course).

I really don't like that deal. Makes us a faster team, but Williams is too big of a question mark for me right now, and while I would deal our TPE for Beasley in a heartbeat, I wouldn't trade a true big man for him.

Above all that, I actually like Goudelock, and a first-rounder in this upcoming draft would be great.

The Wolves are really set on getting Gasol, and I have a feeling they are going to try and offer us Derrick Williams and Michael Beasley for Gasol, Goudelock and a first round pick (and Minny includes fillers, of course).

I really don't like that deal. Makes us a faster team, but Williams is too big of a question mark for me right now, and while I would deal our TPE for Beasley in a heartbeat, I wouldn't trade a true big man for him.

Above all that, I actually like Goudelock, and a first-rounder in this upcoming draft would be great.

What do you think of McRoberts as a filler until you guys can possibly draft, or trade for a younger complimentary big to Bynum? Considering that Gasol has been in the league 10 years and Bynum only six, if the lake show is indeed building around Andrew I think a trade of Gasol only makes sense.

I say get any value for him while you can seeing as big men usually don't last that long in the league anyway.

Acquiring younger players along side the Lakers core like Beasley, a possible draft pick from a team, and an option at point would be a step in the direction in increasing their longevity as a contender for the future.

Edited by Art Hues

I'm told the teams have not spoken about Pau Gasol since the preseason.

Pau Gasol's name hasn't come up. They're not interested in Gasol. Mainly because they have Love and Williams. but Pau Gasol's name hasn't come up. we steal him for nothing. :glasses:

Edited by Hayes1

• Owner

What do you think of McRoberts as a filler until you guys can possibly draft, or trade for a younger complimentary big to Bynum? Considering that Gasol has been in the league 10 years and Bynum only six, if the lake show is indeed building around Andrew I think a trade of Gasol only makes sense.

I say get any value for him while you can seeing as big men usually don't last that long in the league anyway.

Acquiring younger players along side the Lakers core like Beasley, a possible draft pick from a team, and an option at point would be a step in the direction in increasing their longevity as a contender for the future.

Bynum is not a franchise player, so I hope they don't go that direction. Franchise players are legit primary scoring options that can play over 35 minutes a night, and have proven they can last full NBA seasons. Drew hasn't done any of that.

Pau Gasol's name hasn't come up. They're not interested in Gasol. Mainly because they have Love and Williams. but Pau Gasol's name hasn't come up. we steal him for nothing. :glasses:

I have a hard time believing that. Minnesota would still play Gasol in the frontcourt, and stick Pekovic on the bench (since he's only logging around 24 minutes a game anyway), and the Gasol/Rubio connection would be lethal because Pau is also a very, very good passing big man, which only helps Love (and he's one as well).

Also, it's Chris Broussard making that statement. I never know when to believe or disregard what he says.