2012 Olympic Team vs. Dream Team

Flash

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He's a Heat fan :lol:

So being a Heat fan obviously means I don't think the Dream Team would blow out the 2012 team? Glad your reasons at least had to do with basketball http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

What I mean by Barkley being MVP at the time meaning he got MVP over MJ, very hard to do at that time since MJ was MVP twice in a row before and won the championship that year and Barkley was coming off a great season that year. Meaning you don't have no one to guard him at that point, game over.

And Wade third best of all time? Don't get me wrong wade is my third fav player in the NBA but LMAO guess you never heard of Maravich, West, Gervin, Miller, Drexler, Monroe, Allen, Dumars.

Edit: And since you wanna bring up age with Magic/Rose(Magic still was very effective) then Im going to bring it up with Michael/Kobe. Now I'm BIG Kobe fan but Michael will torch Kobe, and it's not even funny.

The first paragraph doesn't make any sense to me. He won the MVP, over Jordan so now he's unguardable and impossible to slow down? Just look at the matchups. LeBron or Kevin Durant is a tough matchup for anyone, no matter what the era. They both present serious matchup problems with their combination of size and quickness.

As for Wade. His stats/accolades top just about everyone on that list minus West and maybe Gervin and his career isn't over. But that's another debate for another time.

I'm sure MJ would play great no matter who guarded him, but the notion that Magic Johnson who hadn't played basketball in a year coud stop Derrick Rose is absurd. You can't just take off for a year and defend the reigning NBA MVP no problem. 2012 Kobe has a much better shot at defending Mike than Magic would Rose. And IMO you could possibly throw LeBron on MJ at times but if you throw Pippen on Rose then that team would either play with no PG on the floor or throw Magic on Kobe, Durant or LeBron.

No one is saying 2012 in a route (actually I think ECN did), but I think they'd have to be favored in this game.

skill trumps athleticism

PG...True, Johnson was out all 91-92 season (except the All-Star Game), but when he left due to HIV in 1991, he was at the top of his game. Magic Johnson was a 6'9" trickster. There is no way that today's CP3 could guard Magic or even Rose, even when he was 30+ Magic would prove to be to big for CP3 to guard...or any other PG! Rose would have a better chance, but they probably would have to put Lebron on him as he would be the only one big and fast enough. Sure they are quicker and more explosive but Magic doesn't need to be purely because of size and strength. You seem to think 32 is old and 20 years ago, 32 was not old. 32-33 were prime years. you look at guys like malone, drexler, MJ, ewing, D. robinson...these guys were not "falling off the table" at 32. The notion that Magic was in the "twilight" of his career is crazy. He contracted HIV, he didn't have knee issues. His body was still fit, like a lot of other guys i mentioned. 32 being old is a new thing, most likely due to the fact that guys are coming to the NBA earlier, putting more mileage on their knees earlier. but they can handle it because they're still young.

The only matchup todays team would win would be the SF spot. Lebron/Durant/Melo would be too much for Bird to guard, so Pippen would have to play lots of minutes, but still Pippen would lock up Lebron or Durant. Durant doesn't have good defense so Pippen would murder. They would have the 3pt advantage as Bird/Mullin light em up like a Christmas tree. You also have to understand that Larry Bird was so damn smart, his basketball IQ was so high it makes it hard to believe that the players of today would be able to stand up to him. He didn't depend on physical gifts to dominate. but he would struggle a lot on defense.

Then you go to the PF spot!

There is no way Lebron/Love/Griffin would even have enough to guard Barkley/Malone/Leadner as they played way more physical then any of these guys. Todays team would be faster, but they would be limited as the dream team would slow down the game and take it inside with really good shooters limiting fast breaks.

Then C...

D12 is great, his current numbers are almost inflated, meaning that his competition on a nightly basis are J Anthony, D. Diop, J McGee, J. O'Neil ...and the list goes on! He only faces decent centers about 10-15 games a season (A Bynum, T Chandler, J Noah, A Horford, A. Bogut, M Gasol). In the 90's he would play top centers for about half the season (P Ewin, D Robinson, A Mourning, H Olajuwon, R Smith, D Mutombo, Shaq, B Divac, A Sabonas, K Willis). These are complete bigs that can score with their back to the basket, face up and actually hit fts. Plus they were GREAT defenders. Robinson and Ewing who would just shut down teams trying to get to the hoop. I dare Howard to play either one of these players with only two moves! His numbers then may have been different...may! And after D12 gets in foul trouble who would play center? That alone gives the W to the dream team. Then...

On the SG spot...no need to go into details! Kobe and wade is not enough. Wade is average at best on defense plus Jordan would lock up wade no doubt, Wade is not a good shooter, good slasher, and driver, but he ain't going to the hole. Kobe love yea (No Homo) he will still get his though but Jordan's defense was surreal.

The bench, uh! Have to give it to today's team as they may be to fast, but, I wouldnt bet on it as they don't have anyone to guard Robinson nor Barkley. Not to mention the Stockton Malone pick and role.

It would be great to see. But, I would put my $$ on the dream team. Every player on the dream team was basically all around. Too big, savvy, physical and clutch. And did anyone mention MJ...does anyone really think that MJ would let his team loose? The defense is there (Pippen, Ewin, Malone, MJ,)...3pt shooting is there (Bird, Mullin)...discipline would keep order (Magic, Stockton, MJ)...clutch would be taken care of (MJ, Magic, Bird, Drexler-who people don't really know how good he was).

Edited by Hayes1

Why is it assumed that the older players are more skilled though? The game has changed and that skill is now mixed in with unreal athleticism. This team has the advantage at the 1, 3 and 4 and Kobe/Wade aren't as far off from Jordan/Drexler as we think. You're underrating Wade big time here. Kobe's showing he's still got it this season. I can't stand Derrick Rose and even I think there's no way Magic having not played basketball in an entire year and an injured Stockton could keep up with him.

2012 is just a matchup nightmare IMO.

Edited by Flash

I don't think its possible to compare them...how on Earth are you going to correctly compare Charles Barkley in the past to Lebron today, or Stockton in the past to Derrick Rose today? The game is different, and of course we tend to ride the nuts of the NBA legends. Just like years from now when someone makes a post comparing the 2024 Olympic Team to the 2012 Olympic team, we are going to jump all over the 2012 Olympic team's nuts because they are "NBA Legends"....just let it happen. This team can crap on any team out there, that is all that matters.

Edited by SRV

Why is it assumed that the older players are more skilled though? The game has changed and that skill is now mixed in with unreal athleticism. This team has the advantage at the 1, 3 and 4 and Kobe/Wade aren't as far off from Jordan/Drexler as we think. You're underrating Wade big time here. Kobe's showing he's still got it this season. I can't stand Derrick Rose and even I think there's no way Magic having not played basketball in an entire year and an injured Stockton could keep up with him.

2012 is just a matchup nightmare IMO.

I already know Kobe ain't too far from jordan but Wade :lol:.

Edited by Hayes1

I never said Wade was close to Jordan? But the SG units as a whole aren't as far apart as we're making them out to be because Wade >> Drexler.

Edit: Yea, I'll give you that. The SG would be a great match up though. Still think Michael Jordan/Drexler wins the match up.

Edited by Hayes1

Someone kill me, I agree with everything Flash says.

Magic and Stockton would NOT be able to stay in front of Rose. He would run circles around them

Sure, take the advantage of Jordan over Kobe/Wade, but it is a deeper SG unit.

Bird would not be able to stay with Durant for even a minute in the game. Don't forget that LeBron can rotate to the three

At the four, Barkley would not be able to handle LeBron on the perimeter or the post. Not sure how effective Barkley would be on offense given that LeBron is stronger and faster.

The five spot can go either way

The Dream Team dominated because despite the obvious flaws with the roster, they were centuries ahead of the rest of the world.

• Like 1

In terms of talent, Dream Team wins this.

However, this team is pretty much the Redeem Team, which basically had 3 years to develop and had an actual defensive system implemented. As a team, they were a lot more prepared by 2008, and most likely now, than the Dream Team was in an actual competitive game. Therefor, I think this current team could definitely give the '92 squad a run for their money, if not beat them.

Though, if you give the Dream Team the same time this squad has had to develop chemistry and an actual system, then I'd bet my money on them in a game/series.

IMO if you take the '12 team in its current state vs. that 92 team in its state at that time '12 wins. There's just no answer for Rose and Paul at the point and LeBron would just dominate anyone who guarded him at the 4. Not to mention the big guys on that 92 team hadn't really hit their peak yet whereas Dwight is right in the middle of his prime.

Edited by Flash

• Owner

LeBron would just dominate anyone who guarded him at the 4

Scottie Pippen would be on him most of the time, three or four, doesn't matter. If you think LeBron would dominate arguably one of the greatest perimeter defenders of all-time, you're sadly mistaken...especially when you have legitimate defensive-minded big men in the game (Robinson, Ewing, Malone). Not a chance in hell.

If the Dallas Mavericks shut him down with Marion and Chandler, what do you think the Dream Team would do with Pippen and Ewing?