DeRozan Pissed Off After 4th Quarter Benching

The tweet is deleted now, but after the game, a game in which he was benched for the entire 4th quarter despite scoring 17 through three and playing very good defense on Kevin Martin, he tweeted this:

DeMar DeRozan ‏ @DeMar_DeRozan

Straight Bulls#!+

Keep in mind, Casey basically benched him in favour of Kleiza who was 3/10 from the floor and had two huge blown defensive assignments (leaving Parsons wide open for 3 and then not boxing him out enabling him to get an offensive board which eventually led to Kevin Martin free throws with 11 seconds left).

Casey's rational, at least according to Ryan Wolstat was that he was resting him for tomorrow, which, to quote DeRozan, is straight bullshit. DeRozan played no more than he normally would've and is coming off of the All-Star break. I'm pretty sure he could handle coming in for the final 6 minutes which would only put his minutes at 33 for the night. He sure as hell didn't have a problem playing Bargnani for 40+ minutes a night.

I have no problem with Casey benching somebody, I fully agree with him nailing Bayless to the bench as he was brutal tonight and by no means am I saying DeRozan should be immune to this kind of treatment. He certainly has had games this season where he should've been glued to the bench, but it makes absolutely no sense at all for him to get benched tonight unless something happened during a timeout or something that we aren't aware. He was playing well on both ends of the floor tonight and was a big part in the Raptors making a game of it in the 2nd half.

Maybe it will light a fire under him, but it really was just a strange time to send this kind of message with him playing his best ball of the season over the past 10 or so games.

Demar Derozan should use this as motivation so that the rationale of benching him won't even cross Casey's mind; I personally think this shows Derozan is passionate about playing and that is a major plus.

Edited by Art Hues

Like I said last night, there must have been some other reason for his benching that we didn't see on TV and, according to Doug Smith, that is the case:

Our seats were in the corner and were better than many in that spot in various arenas because we weren’t too high or too far away from the court.

And I had a perfect angle to see precisely what the coaches have been harping about with DeMar all season; and if any of you are ever at a game, watch it closely. It’s not something you can see on TV but it’s a huge problem with his game.

When they run stuff for him that involves him curling off a screen, or cutting across the lane, he simply does not work hard enough to get open.

He kind of lollygags at times, doesn’t use his body to get separation from his man and won’t use screens effectively.

I believe he was miffed after the game – he apparently tweeted “Straight Bulls#!+" on the bus to the airport – but here’s what I think someone needs to say to him:

Play better. Work harder. Be more effective. Then you’ll play, as you have in every fourth quarter in every game this season.

Makes sense, considering we have heard this before when talking about DeRozan.

Fair enough. Ed Davis had similar treatment (although his benching was related to lack of boxing out and not playing with sufficient energy) about 2 weeks before the All-Star break and since then he has been playing the best ball of his season so far. Hopefully DeRozan does the same.

Demar has the most potential out of anyone on our roster and he could turn into an amazing player if he continues to improve his game. This season in particular I have not always seen that same fire or passion from Derozan to continue to get better, it looks like he's just going through the motions. back in Demar's rookie season I could see in interviews Demar always talking about ways he could improve his game and the such. If Casey told him to do something (ie be more assertive, curl harder etc.) and Demar completely does not make an attempt at doing it then he should be benched, no special treatments.

I don't get where this sense of entitlement is coming from.

Playing in a no accountability system like Triano ran and seeing how Bargnani was treated in seasons past, I can definitely see where it is coming from. He has basically felt entitled to minutes, shots, whatever since coming into the league playing under Triano.

Now that I see why he was benched (at least supposedly) last night, I'm glad Casey did it. If DeRozan was out there ignoring what was asked of him and lollygagging around out there, he deserved to be benched.

Dwayne Casey was being a dipshit last night. I was pissed off then and i'm pissed now. Demar is the best player on the team, and Kleiza was playing like crap. Luckily Demar isn't at the status where he can start demanding trades and he's signed until 2013.