Lakers turn down trade for Beasley

Real Deal

• Owner
The Minnesota Timberwolves offered to trade Michael Beasley to the Los Angeles Lakers for a first-round draft pick, but the Lakers turned them down, according to a league source.

While Beasley, a talented and athletic small forward, would fill one of the Lakers' greatest needs, the Lakers rejected the offer because they do not want to add to their luxury tax bill, according to the source.

With one of the league's highest payrolls at roughly $88 million -- well above the luxury tax threshold of $70 million -- the Lakers are due to pay $18 million in taxes this season. Since there is a dollar-for-dollar penalty for tax-paying teams, taking on Beasley's $6.2 million contract would add another $6.2 million to their tax bill and cost the Lakers an extra $12.4 million.

The Lakers' decision falls in line with their decision to trade Lamar Odom to the Dallas Mavericks for an $8.9 million trade exception in December. While Odom asked to be traded after finding out the Lakers put him in a foiled trade attempt to get Chris Paul, the Lakers' chief motivation for trading Odom was to chop their payroll and to save money.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7631141/source-los-angeles-lakers-reject-minnesota-timberwolves-trade-offer-michael-beasley

Welcome to the Jim Buss era. Saving money means trading Odom for nothing, turning down Beasley for a LATE 1ST ROUNDER (we have two), and more than likely, doing absolutely nothing with our TPE.

:wallbash3:

Already posted this in the other topic but i'll delete it. Anyways, You mean to tell me the lakers will pay luke walton 5.7 milion to sit on the bench but they will not pay beasley 6.2 million to contribute. the lakers deserve to fall

Edited by Hayes1

If they had to use the TPE on top of the 1st round pick (which I'm assuming they had to do since I believe the Lakers are well over the cap), then it was a smart move. Until they decide to move either Gasol or Bynum, they have to save the TPE because who knows what holes the team will have after that trade. And Beasley isn't one of those players you can easily fit into any system or roster and assume he'll be effective. If they got a good PG or athletic SF who can hit the 3 and preferably defend, it'd be one thing, but Beasley is a whole 'nother issue.

• Owner

Ah...I didn't think you could use the TPE combined with draft picks (knew you couldn't with players), but I guess that's incorrect.

I figured the trade was going to be for a pick and possibly fillers (like Walton, who is expiring after next season).

I'm going to assume the Lakers do have bigger plans, though.

• Like 1

I'm going to assume the Lakers do have bigger plans, though.

From what I'm reading the Lakers do indeed have bigger plans it's just so many rumors that its hard to decipher which ones have any substance; so just be patient B.

Eric Pincus ‏ @EricPincus

Got word from a league source that there may be some interest in Walton/Beasley but LA gives up 2 firsts bit.ly/zrpKsY

The difficult part is that the Wolves have no interest in Walton but like picks bit.ly/zrpKsY - Minny has other suitors too

Wolves can probably get an expiring and a first for Beasley bit.ly/zrpKsY - so Walton at $6.2 mil next year to get a second 1st?

Equally - would Lakers be willing to give up 2 picks? (1-Beasley 1-out of Walton) bit.ly/zrpKsY LA would still have LO trade X

Certainly nothing close - Lakers and Wolves are both exploring all options bit.ly/zrpKsY

Lakers can't commit to Beasley without a path to pg bit.ly/zrpKsY and Wolves shouldn't rush to deal either

source says Beasley's value low - doesn't see anyone paying him his QO of $8+ mil over summer bit.ly/zrpKsY

Also spoke to Beasley about Lakers rumor http://bit.ly/zrpKsY - he's in a tough situation but gives a mature response

Edited by Hayes1