A ‘great’ NBA player? Williams waits his turn

http://www.portlandtribune.com/news_graphics/133117428976574200.jpg

Trail Blazers guard Elliot Williams has an athletic body and electric legs and a decent jump shot and enough innate feel for the game to make him an NBA player, even at the tender age of 22.

The 6-5 rookie out of Memphis with the gaudy 48-inch jump reach hit his chin on the rim on a dunk attempt in a recent game.

He is the kind of prospect fans and media clamor to see more of.

It’s probably not going to happen this season, however.

Williams is a shooting guard playing behind Nicolas Batum, Wesley Matthews and Jamal Crawford – all veterans for whom coach Nate McMillan is struggling to find enough playing time.

Williams – who had 15 DNP-CDs (did not play/coach’s decision) in Portland’s first 26 games – has seen duty in each of the last dozen outings. He showed what he is capable of in an 18-minute performance as the Blazers blew out shorthanded San Antonio on Feb. 21, making 7 of 10 shots and scoring 17 points.

There’s no question Williams has earned the respect of his veteran teammates.

“We were just talking about him today,” forward Gerald Wallace says. “He’s a great athlete. He plays some defense. He’s a pretty good shooter. He can get the basket. And the thing about him, he’s aggressive. He wants to be out there, he wants to contribute to the team.

“He’s going to be a great NBA player, once he gets the opportunity. He has the skills to score at will and to be a great defensive player.”

Williams was taken by Portland with the 22nd pick in the 2010 draft after an excellent sophomore season at Memphis, where he averaged a team-high 17.9 points and was Newcomer of the Year and first-team all-Conference USA.

The Memphis native began his college career at Duke, starting 12 games and averaging 4.3 points as a freshman before transferring home to be with his mother, Delois, after she developed breast cancer.

“I loved Duke,” Williams says. “It was an easy decision – that’s my mom – but at the same time, Duke was my dream school. It was tough leaving, but a decision I had to make.”

--------------------------

http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=133117019000726300