ISP To Start Policing The Web

MainEv3nt

Some of the biggest Internet service providers in America plan to adopt policies that will punish customers for copyright infringement, and one of the top trade groups in the music biz announced this week that it could begin as soon as this summer.

The chief executive officer of the Recording Industry Association of America told an audience of publishers on Wednesday that a plan carved out last year to help thwart piracy is expected to prevail and be put in place by this summer. RIAA CEO Cary Sherman was one of the guest speakers among a New York panel this week and he confirmed that, at this rate, some of the most powerful Internet providers in America should have their new policies on the books by July 12, 2012.

read more: http://rt.com/usa/news/internet-providers-year-sherman-661/

Look at it this way.

Large ISPs dont care about losing this minute sliver of subscribers. It wont even put the smallest dent into the annual profits.

Normally I would say they do care about the negative media attention but since it is a collective effort that will not bother any of them.

This will actually help them in the long run due to the fact that they will be knocking off the high users aka bandwidth hogs.

Knocking them off will free up usage for others rather than spending boat loads on network capacity upgrades.

Look at it this way.

Large ISPs dont care about losing this minute sliver of subscribers. It wont even put the smallest dent into the annual profits.

Normally I would say they do care about the negative media attention but since it is a collective effort that will not bother any of them.

This will actually help them in the long run due to the fact that they will be knocking off the high users aka bandwidth hogs.

Knocking them off will free up usage for others rather than spending boat loads on network capacity upgrades.

who doesn't download music/movies anyway? besides, i can still use 500+gb of bandwidth a month without pirating, so this really won't work against high bandwidth users. steam, netflix, etc adds up when you have 5 computers on a network

• Like 1

who doesn't download music/movies anyway? besides, i can still use 500+gb of bandwidth a month without pirating, so this really won't work against high bandwidth users. steam, netflix, etc adds up when you have 5 computers on a network

Yeah... All of the regulation talk and SOPA seem to be politically based; the presidential election is coming up soon and it will be interesting to see what sides of this issue they take.

Edited by Art Hues

Lkr, your right but it's just another way to let up some usage on the networks. Bandwidth caps will get those other high users. You would be surprised how many ISPs are just too cheap to go out there and get more capacity. Instead losing a few subs and knocking them off is easier.

supposedly it starts july 12, they gon make u sign a contract.

well i'm not under contract. if they send me any of that bullshit i'll tell them they're going to have to lower my overpriced bill too