Flopping

Lemon

Anyone else noticing how much flopping has been integrated into the game?

How do you guys feel about it? and where do you see it going?

Personally, I'm slowly accepting some aspects of it. Taking the charge for example is really risky, and players HAVE to sell it in order to get the call. Otherwise, the other option is getting hurt and a blocking foul. Pain to injury. The real crazy flops (you know what I'm talking about) get real tiring though. They're calls that shouldn't be called. It's annoying. It is turning into a option that forces a turnover, and some people have the skill (D.Fish), some don't (Kobe). If they're good, they know when to flop. If they see an extended arm, they'll exaggerate the reaction. I've even seen DFish try to rationalize his flops to the ref. It's all a shame because some players that flop normally (Ginobli, James) are great enough without it.

It seems though that refs are trying to prevent it. Sometimes. Players like Blake Griffin are getting reputations. I've been seeing that he's not getting a lot calls that he would've gotten earlier in the year. But you have to admit that they're tough not to call given the speed of the game. I've seen refs be spot on with the no calls. To be honest, they're rare. One possibility is that the games will be called with less fouls leading to a tougher game for guards. Games like this have been the most exciting to me.

I think most people would say that flopping shouldn't be valid defense, but right now it is. What now?

Its one thing to try and sell a call every now and then. Its another thing to do what Blake and others are doing lately. There's times when you watch him play that on 3 straight possessions either offensively or defensively he's blatantly flopping. It just does no good for the game.

Edited by Flash
  • Like 2

Its one thing to try and sell a call every now and then. Its another thing to do what Blake and others are doing lately. There's times when you watch him play that on 3 straight possessions either offensively or defensively he's blatantly flopping. It just does no good for the game.

this.

+1. No wonder people are saying this league is getting softer and softer, even though the players are more and more athletic every year.

IMO there is a difference at being good at drawing charges and a blatant flop. While Derek Fisher did flop, he was also very good at getting his feet set and drawing a charge, which imo is a good play. Flopping in the post when you're barely being hit is another thing

Kobe does this all the time.

http://www.sportsgeekery.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/lebron-flop-2.gif

Nahhh. :lol:

Except that isn't what Flash said at all, but I guess you just wanted an excuse to post that gif.

Those gay ass head fake flops are the ones that piss me off the most.... I have no idea how players get the call on that shit

Agreed.

The funny thing is that those are the best ways to get calls. For the Raptors, Bayless always does that head snap flop (and yells for good measure) and gets the call about 80% of the time. Meanwile, DeRozan hardly ever flops and gets legitimately hammered on many of his drives, yet he probably gets about half as many calls as he should on most nights. So for that reason, I can't really blame players for flopping.

• Like 1

You guys are okay with the "sell the charge" flop? I can see that. But all types of flops have been increasing to a point where it's a part of the game. It's at a point where those who flop are awarded more than those who try to draw fouls truthfully like bft was saying.

Right now it's an asset to any team. The only thing that the league can do now that I see is keep it the way it is or call lesd fouls

You guys are okay with the "sell the charge" flop? I can see that. But all types of flops have been increasing to a point where it's a part of the game. It's at a point where those who flop are awarded more than those who try to draw fouls truthfully like bft was saying.

Right now it's an asset to any team. The only thing that the league can do now that I see is keep it the way it is or call lesd fouls

I think it is more accepting than anything. We've come to the relization that it has become part of the game and is always going to be there as long as the refs continue to call it.

If I had it my way no floppers would be rewarded but I also know that will never be the case in sports, whether it is hockey, soccer, basketball or whatever.

The charge rule in general needs to be looked at. Too many little guards sliding under guys who are already in the air and getting that call. Its a flawed rule that's hurting the game right now IMO.

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DRAYTON-FLORENCE-FLOP.gif

Baron Davis fell so hard he probably missed 3 weeks after this:

http://animating.ru/signatures/data/media/3/Basketball_flop_dive.gif

Edited by Flash
  • Like 1

• Owner

The Kobe vs. LeBron garbage is getting annoying. Stop ruining topics with it. Not every LeBron comment deserves one about Kobe, and in the same light, if someone trashes Kobe, stop going after LeBron. Refrain from putting both in your post if the comparison itself is not relevant to the topic, or if you have a history of doing so, just don't post.

• Like 1

lol @ Shane Battier one, he mad cause he gettin locked.

Anyways, I find flopping funny, I laugh at ppl who have a problem with it, it's part of the game, and if it isn't called you just look stupid. It's the refs fault they have to step up and do a better job calling the game.