Kyle Lowry returns to practice

HOUSTON - Kyle Lowry returned to practice the floor Thursday morning for the first time since coming down with a bacterial infection that has forced him to miss the Rockets past 14 games.

Lowry was a limited participant in Thursday's practice, primarily taking part in half-court drills with the club. And while there remains no definite timetable for his return to game action, his ability to participate in on-court activities with his teammates was clearly a positive benchmark on his road to recovery.

"Kyle looked pretty good," said Rockets Head Coach Kevin McHale. "He moved OK. He did some of our up-and-down stuff, we didn't do a ton of up-and-down today; we did more yesterday. So that's probably what he needs more. Half-court is one thing, it's tough to get your wind back, but he looked pretty good. We'll see where it goes."

Said Lowry: "It was fun. It was good to be out there. It's huge from where I thought I was going to be a couple weeks ago. It's always a work in progress everyday, just one step at a time. I'll just go out there and see how I feel tomorrow and take it day by day.

"This process has gone faster than I believed it was going to happen. Like I said, I just have to take it day by day. We've got a long flight to Los Angeles and I've got to see how I feel when I walk off the plane and wake up tomorrow morning. I definitely have a better feeling about coming back this season."

Prior to his bout with the bacterial infection, Lowry had been enjoying a banner year, posting career highs in points (15.9), assists (7.2), rebounds (5.3) and steals (1.8) per game, while also connecting on a career-best 38.8 percent of his shots from beyond the arc. The Rockets have gone 8-6 in his absence during the 14 games he's missed due to illness.

In other news Thursday, the Rockets also announced that they have signed point guard Earl Boykins to a second 10-day contract. He is averaging 6.4 points and 3.0 assists in five games with Houston.

Good to hear. If we make it to the playoffs hopefully Kyle will able to play again.

Edited by htownborn