Raptors Likely Shutting Down Bargnani for Rest of Season

[bargnani sat out Toronto’s 103-98 loss to the Indiana Pacers here on Monday night, bothered again by the bad left calf that’s robbed him of 27 regular-season games so far and it might be that he is shut down for the final eight games of the year.

“I’m sure there’s always that possibility,” coach Dwane Casey said before the Raptors fell to 20-38 on the season and were mercifully mathematically eliminated from the Eastern Conference playoffs. “You don’t want to take (a chance to) tear it or make it worse. That’s up to the medical people and Andrea to make that determination.”

The determination will be made after Bargnani sees the team’s full medical staff in Toronto on Tuesday. But with the season all but over and nothing much to play for, it wouldn’t surprise anyone if he sat out the final eight games, which would mean a strained calf would have kept him out of more than half of a truncated 66-game season.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/article/1158841--toronto-raptors-fall-short-in-103-98-loss-to-indiana-pacers

Next up, Jose Calderon....

I wish. :(

Damn that sucks. He absolutely lit us up last time we played a couple weeks ago.

That is exactly why they are shutting him down. The Raptors looked to be basically locked into a bottom 4 record until Bargnani came back and they started playing near .500 basketball (they were 10-12 in their last 22 games at one point and had a 3 game winning streak at another).

Colangelo probably looked up at the standings, saw the Raptors were sitting in 7th last and said that enough was enough, we have to make sure that we lose at least 7 or 8 of our last 10 to ensure a bottom 5 pick.

Well, I'm sure they are a bit worried about his calf since he has re-aggrivated it two times this year now, but I'd be willing to be more of it is about the tank.