Spurs Since the Jefferson Trade

This was posted by a poster named Solid D over at Spurs Talk:

The Spurs are 20-3 .870 (losing to Dallas, Utah and LAL. The Utah loss was without big 3. In the Dallas loss, Diaw and Mills had not joined the team, yet.)

In those 23 games:

Their point differential is +12.7

They are averaging 108.83 PPG (2503 total points)

They are allowing 96.13 PPG (2211 total points)

In the 41 games before the trade:

Their point differential was +4.17

They were averaging 100.51 PPG (4121 total points)

They were allowing 96.34 PPG (3950 total points)

In the 23 games since the trade:

They have increased their point differential by +8.53

They have increased their scoring by 8.32 PPG

They have decreased their opponents scoring by -0.21 PPG

Spurs record vs playoff contenders:

PHX 2-0

OKC 1-0

MEM 1-0

PHI 1-0

IND 1-0

BOS 1-0

LAL 2-1

DAL 1-1

UTA 1-1

Pretty good stuff.

It seems like the Spurs will win it...not trying to jinx, but it seems meant to be for Popovich and the big three to win one more together, and I see them making sure that happens.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

It is going to be interesting. Still think LA is the best team in the west if everything is clicking with OKC right there. SAS are healthy as they have ever been and Duncan is still a stud despite popular belief, so things could get interesting.

I think it all depends on matchups, which makes San Antonio clinching 1st in the West pretty big for them.

I think the Lakers would beat San Antonio in a series because the Spurs struggle with big, bruising frontcourts inside. Gasol and Bynum are a very difficult matchup for them,

I think that they would beat OKC, though. They've always played them well and matchup really well with them.

The best thing for them would be to have OKC and the Thunder beat the shit out of each other in a physical, 6+ game series and them take advantage of the winner in the WCF.

Of course, it is no guarantee that they will make it there. I do think they would beat Phoenix/Utah in the 1st round and then beat the Memphis/LAC winner in the 2nd, but the West is really good as usual. I wouldn't be surprised at all if none of the top 3 seeds were in the WCF this year, even if the Thunder, Spurs and Lakers are, in my opinion, the three best teams in the West.

It definitely isn't as easy of a prediction as the East is, that is for sure.

I live on Spurstalk BFT, are you a regular member over there?

The really sad thing is I've been saying this team is different even before the Sjax trade. Parker sucked the first 5-6 games and then he did a full 180 and started destroying people. This is easily Parkers best year of his career. He's always been considered a "score" first PG and that part of his game hasn't changed however, this year Parker has become a "playmaker" and the offense is run through him. This is why the Spurs are 3rd in the league in scoring. They can get out and run with the best of them. San Antonio is also an excellent passing and rebounding team. The Spurs have a lot of play makers and everyone is unselfish. Before the Jax trade and Boris signing I thought this team was good (better than last year, due to Splitter getting minutes and Kawhi Leonards incredible play) but not a contender. After the trade seeing how seamlessly the new players fit and how the team responded I could tell that they were legit contenders. Is it a long shot? Yeah, but they still have a chance.That's something I couldn't truthfully say for the past 4 years.

It's good to see the Spurs still got it though, I've seen it before. Everyone completely ingnores them for most of the season, claiming that they are too "old" and can't hang with the young kids. Then the Spurs start getting noticed towards the end of the season and people realize this team is for real.

If the seeds stay how they are and we play PHXorUtah in round 1 and Memphis or Clippers in round 2 they have a good shot at making the WCF. Lakers are the most dangerous opponent to me.

I live on Spurstalk BFT, are you a regular member over there?

No. I just go over there a couple times a week and browse. I'm not registred or anything.

The really sad thing is I've been saying this team is different even before the Sjax trade. Parker sucked the first 5-6 games and then he did a full 180 and started destroying people. This is easily Parkers best year of his career. He's always been considered a "score" first PG and that part of his game hasn't changed however, this year Parker has become a "playmaker" and the offense is run through him. This is why the Spurs are 3rd in the league in scoring. They can get out and run with the best of them. San Antonio is also an excellent passing and rebounding team. The Spurs have a lot of play makers and everyone is unselfish. Before the Jax trade and Boris signing I thought this team was good (better than last year, due to Splitter getting minutes and Kawhi Leonards incredible play) but not a contender. After the trade seeing how seamlessly the new players fit and how the team responded I could tell that they were legit contenders. Is it a long shot? Yeah, but they still have a chance.That's something I couldn't truthfully say for the past 4 years.

Agreed on Parker. He has been, in my opinion, a top 4 point guard in the league this year right there with Paul, Rondo and Nash. The Spurs have the most efficient offensive and considering they've done it without Manu at 100%, while monitoring Duncan's minutes and with no backup point guard for half the year (Ford's injury and then his retirement) it really shows just how good Parker has been this year. Credit should go to the rest of the team because it has been a team effort, but Parker is definitely the biggest factor.

If the seeds stay how they are and we play PHXorUtah in round 1 and Memphis or Clippers in round 2 they have a good shot at making the WCF. Lakers are the most dangerous opponent to me.

Well, they will play 2 of those teams since the Clippers and Grizzlies are locked into the 4th and 5th seeds (homecourt is still up for grabs) and it is looking like the Jazz will clinch the 8th seed tonight. I agree with you that they have a great shot at making the WCF. Even though the Grizzlies beat them last year and I would rather not play them, I still think they will beat them this year.

I'd actually be more worried about that matchup than I would one with the Thunder. Like you, the Lakers are the one team I think the Spurs would prefer not to play.