Rockets offer Brooks and Battier to T'Wolves

Zero

Mitch Lawrence in Sunday's Daily News reported that the Wolves turned down a deal with the Houston Rockets that would have resulted in Aaron Brooks and Shane Battier headed to Minnesota for Rubio.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2009/06/knicks-dont-have-knack-to-land.html

Morey really wants this kid. If he comes to Houston he'll be a starter and I know he would want to play in a warm city with a huge fan base.

i would take that deal in a heartbeat.

Two proven starters for an 18 yr old without any expierence in the U.S.

Even if he turns out to be a star, I still would be happy with two very good players in Battier and Brooks.

The fact that they would get two proven starters is the bad part of the deal for the Wolves. They don't want to win. They like losing.

Edited by Viral

That's why it's so shocking that the Wolves are so quick to decline these kind of offers. Rubio should be completely expendable for a good offer, especially when you Flynn.

• Owner

I disagree. I don't like this deal for Minnesota. Battier is almost 31 years old (and that's not that bad, but he's not young) and he's only got two years left on his contract, which is set to pay him around $14 million. And Brooks is not a pass-first point, which is what they are looking for in a starter.

Brooks and Battier aren't all-star players. Rubio has the potential to be one. You keep the kid.

• Owner

They already have like 10 kids. What's one gone gonna hurt?

It won't sting for a few seasons, but there's a reason nobody is after any of those other kids, while there are about 3-5 teams asking for Rubio.

• Owner

They aren't asking because they know the Wolves won't give them up lol. Who wouldn't want Jefferson or Love?

I can think of a few teams that wouldn't trade for Kevin Love.

But the point is, if you're going to trade any of your young players, you deal Flynn, or Brewer, or Ellington. Anyone outside of Jefferson, Love and Rubio.

I'm the last to be a fan of Ricky Rubio, but I'm also aware that he's a potential all-star, and the only other person on the team you can say that about is Jefferson.

Then why won't they deal Flynn or whoever? I'm not saying they should trade Rubio, just that they need to do something instead of stockpiling on kids and hoping for the best. They should at least stop acting like everyone's untouchable and they have this big master plan because if they think they're gonna become good with just these players they're sadly mistaken.

Edited by Viral

• Owner

Minny won't deal Flynn because they have no idea what Rubio is going to do. Assuming he goes back to Spain for a year or so, the Wolves will keep Flynn until Ricky returns, and I can probably safely assume that Flynn will be more of a backup than starting material, but we'll see.

If Minny decides to play small, so be it...but when they said that at the draft, it blew my mind because you aren't going to play Flynn as a two-guard (he's way too short) and Rubio has no shot and needs to run the point.

In the end, Minnesota will either trade one of them, or Flynn will back up Rubio. One year of play for Flynn will make that decision easier.

Still, what happens after that? Are they really accomplishing anything even if Rubio and Flynn both turn out good and want to play for them? I'm guessing they're making this a long process, going to see how things go with their players in a few years. However, I'm not sure that's what's best for the team. I've always been a fan of immediately improving your team when the opportunity presents itself.

• Owner

Still, what happens after that? Are they really accomplishing anything even if Rubio and Flynn both turn out good and want to play for them? I'm guessing they're making this a long process, going to see how things go with their players in a few years. However, I'm not sure that's what's best for the team. I've always been a fan of immediately improving your team when the opportunity presents itself.

It's a rebuilding process. Atlanta decided to do that with their forwards. People were wondering when they were ever going to get a true power forward, while Marvin Williams was coming into the league as an NBA small forward, Josh Smith played the same position, and Joe Johnson had played at the three in spurts while he was in Phoenix. The Hawks ended up playing small ball and moving from the NBA's second-biggest joke (sorry Clippers) to a second-round playoff team out East.

The process will be slow for Minnesota, but you have to consider the fact that they are only two seasons removed from losing their franchise player and easily the best player that has ever played for them. In addition to that, McHale was more interested in Boston for the last two years, and the Wolves can't find a coach that will run a suitable offense and take these players under his wing.

Flynn is more of a scorer out of the two, but he can't be the SG. I was really surprised they took him at 6th... they should have used it on DeMar DeRozan with both Evans and Harden gone... or some other star wings like Terrence Williams.

Heck if he really wants another PG, Jrue Holiday or even Jeff Teague would make more sense than Flynn. Holiday is interchangeable with SG and Teague is a natural born scorer, while Flynn isn't. That Flynn pick could have himself fired in 1-2 years.

• Owner

Okay right here right now... :dribble: who do you think will Rubio play for this upcoming season? Knicks? Wolves? Spain? Some other team? If an NBA team, who will he get traded for?

There's no chance I can make that prediction, because this is where most of my uncertainty lies among all things NBA right now.

But out of the three destinations (Minnesota, Spain, New York), he'll be in one of those.

Off the record, he'll be overseas for a year or two.

It's a rebuilding process. Atlanta decided to do that with their forwards. People were wondering when they were ever going to get a true power forward, while Marvin Williams was coming into the league as an NBA small forward, Josh Smith played the same position, and Joe Johnson had played at the three in spurts while he was in Phoenix. The Hawks ended up playing small ball and moving from the NBA's second-biggest joke (sorry Clippers) to a second-round playoff team out East.

The process will be slow for Minnesota, but you have to consider the fact that they are only two seasons removed from losing their franchise player and easily the best player that has ever played for them. In addition to that, McHale was more interested in Boston for the last two years, and the Wolves can't find a coach that will run a suitable offense and take these players under his wing.

True, but I think size issues at the forward positions aren't as pressing as they are for guards in this case. The Wolves currently have no true shooting guard on their roster. Wayne Ellington is the closest thing to that and he's just a role player who is, what do you know, undersized. It's even more mind boggling if you buy into what Kahn is pitching about forming a Dumars-Isiah duo in the backcourt. Not only is Flynn 6ft flat, but he can't even shoot. He's not gonna posterize people all day like he did in college so I just hope that Kahn was just making a really bad joke.

Okay right here right now... :dribble: who do you think will Rubio play for this upcoming season? Knicks? Wolves? Spain? Some other team? If an NBA team, who will he get traded for?

Spain.

Btw: Wolves going for John Wall next year!

This could be a good deal for us since we give away Battier who wont be starting and Brooks who will be replaced by Rubio. But the thing is that we may need to try and win now as long as we're healthy for the most part. Since TMac could be on his way out since he's an expiring.

As long as Artest resigns and Rubio plays in the NBA this season this would be a great move for us and our future.