The WWE Guide to the NBA

Real Deal

• Owner
Back in December, when David Stern vetoed Chris Paul's trade to the Los Angeles Lakers, I tweeted that if Stern didn't start using WWE chairman Vince McMahon's theme song as his entrance music, there was no hope left in the world.1 The song, after an ominous and largely indecipherable first verse, is basically a lengthy repetition of the phrase "You've got no chance in hell." But let me be clear: The song wasn't fitting only because the chorus was a lyrical version of Stern's eff-you to New Orleans GM Dell Demps, the Hornets, and the good sense of every cognizant NBA fan. The song matched Stern so well because the nearly inexplicable Paul decision represented the final, complete conversion of Stern into a self-caricature — a swaggering, pro-wrestling-style evil bossman, which is the character McMahon has spent the better part of two decades perfecting. Stern is every bit as diabolical as McMahon, every bit as power-hungry, and every bit as self-satisfied. You can tell he relishes the boos and the vitriol aimed at him, like an actor trying to raise the audience's ire; that people questioned his decision to revoke the Paul trade seemed only to reinforce its validity in his eyes. In a lot of ways, Stern fits the role more naturally than McMahon does. He doesn't have Vince's brawn, or his cartoonish facial expressions, or his movie-villain hairstyle, but that's because he doesn't need them. Stern isn't part of the WWE universe — he's in a much subtler world. A real one, you might even say.

Read the rest here:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7861414/david-stern-vince-mcmahon-lebron-james-john-cena-wwe-guide-nba

Thought this was pretty cool, actually. Some of you that used to watch wrestling (and don't anymore) will still get a laugh out of this, as it's making comparisons to wrestlers that you should know.

LeBron is Cena, Kobe is Flair...pretty funny stuff, and most is accurate.

• Like 1

I don't see Melo as HHH at all, probably because I hate HHH and love Rock/Melo. Best comparison I would make is the third wheel one, where Melo is behind Wade and LeBron like HHH was behind Austin and Rock.

Anyway my favorite comparison was Tim Duncan as Undertaker. Duncan is just that 1, unquestionable veteran presence. And despite being the greatest PF of all time he was never 'the man'.

Kobe - Orton (Just because hes serious and look like the viper in his face)

LeBron - Cena (He always has haters you know what i mean

Kevin Durant - Kofi Kingston (Hes that cool guy you love)

Dwight Howard - CM Punk (Just hes big dude but he always saying funny comments with good character.)

Andrew Bynum - Big Show (No clue just because Bynum is pretty heavy and powerful)

Melo - Alberto Del Rio (He always got that smirk when hes playing)

Dwayne Wade - Dolph Ziggler (Complete player but doesn't really have character)

Blake Griffin - Daniel Bryan - (Flop! Flop! Flop! Flop!)

Nate Robinson - Rey Mysterio (please dont ask why lol)

Edited by CaliCurbStomppa

• 2 weeks later...