Frank Vogel: Heat love to flop

Real Deal

• Owner
The Miami Heat and Indiana Pacers won't play each other in the Eastern Conference semifinals until Sunday afternoon, but Indiana coach Frank Vogel is wasting no time in taking shots at the Heat.

"They are the biggest flopping team in the NBA," Vogel told reporters at Thursday's practice in Indianapolis. "It'll be very interesting (to see) how the referees officiate the series and how much flopping they reward."

"Every drive to the basket, they have guys not making a play on the ball, but sliding in front of drivers," Vogel said. "Oftentimes they're falling down even before contact is even being made. It'll be interesting to see how the series is officiated."

http://espn.go.com/nba/conversations/_/id/7918758/2012-nba-playoffs-indiana-pacers-coach-frank-vogel-says-miami-heat-biggest-floppers-league

Uh oh, shots fired!

Disagree, though...the Clippers are the biggest flopping team in the league, but Miami is probably second.

LeBron Heat in five games?

Lol, absolutely smart move to talk shit to a team who's known to go into spurts of boredom and unmotivated play when they know they're better than the team they're playing against.

What did Vogel accomplish by saying that?

Puts the officials on notice and increases the media outrage when flops are undoubtedly rewarded, which will put even more pressure on the officials to let the flops go.

tl;dr helps some of the flops go unrewarded

What did Vogel accomplish by saying that?

He gained my respect. Nothing better than a little shit talking before the series. I agree with Brandon though, the Clips reign supreme when it comes to flopping even though I've seen my share of shameful flopping from the Heat this season.

Puts the officials on notice and increases the media outrage when flops are undoubtedly rewarded, which will put even more pressure on the officials to let the flops go.

tl;dr helps some of the flops go unrewarded

I highly doubt the officials give a damn. There has been flopping all year long, they won't all of a sudden stop calling fouls because something looks wrong. Then it just gets to the point where actual fouls won't be getting called.

I highly doubt the officials give a damn. There has been flopping all year long, they won't all of a sudden stop calling fouls because something looks wrong. Then it just gets to the point where actual fouls won't be getting called.

Public scrutiny of officials will put them under a microscope and everyone, league included, will be paying more attention. I highly doubt they won't care, not with a job on the line.

This drew attention to the flopping, like it or not. Vogel could have saved the team a few phantom fouls.

• Like 1

I actually think that public scrutiny of officials gets you a nice fine from David Stern. I don't recall a time where refs change the way they officiate after people complain. It all depends on what the refs see.

Yes, there could be a fine if it's a coach saying it.. Not the media covering the series, as I said earlier.. PTI, around te horn, first take, papers, twitter, etc etc.. If they're talking, it will be heard.

This will have them looking harder at flops. Aka what they see?

I just don't think its possible to stop "flops" entirely. The refs see what they see, no man calls a foul just for the fun of it. If they really want to stop then they should only call clear fouls such as slapping someone across a body part or a shot to the head, but that would just take away from fouls such as blocks and charges.

You're crazy if you think the NBA/refs aren't going to take public scrutiny into consideration. I'm sure they go back and look at tapes just like everyone else. I don't like this move by Vogel to be honest. If the Heat use this as bulletin board material this could be a sweep. High risk, low reward. But I guess for them to have a chance they have to take any and every risk.

Either way, its a horrible idea to give a team like the Heat bulletin board material. Vogel actually took a page right out of the Phil Jackson coaching book too. That's a classic PJax move.

There was a potential flop call earlier when West bumped Miller to get his shot away.. who then went down, West knocked down the shot and no foul was called. Apart from that I've not noticed that much!

Though I think that Barbosa move at the end wasn't a charge.

Either way, its a horrible idea to give a team like the Heat bulletin board material. Vogel actually took a page right out of the Phil Jackson coaching book too. That's a classic PJax move.

i think bulletin board material is the last thing a team needs to worry about when facing the heat...

There was a potential flop call earlier when West bumped Miller to get his shot away.. who then went down, West knocked down the shot and no foul was called. Apart from that I've not noticed that much!

Though I think that Barbosa move at the end wasn't a charge.

Yeah Miller flopped there, the refs let them play the whole game though because David West was getting extremely physical on the picks and nothing was being called. Good game though, should be a real competitive series if this keeps up.

Kobe to floppers: Where are your balls at?

"There's a difference [between taking a charge and flopping]. We all know what flopping is when we see it," Bryant said. "The stuff that you see is where guys aren't really getting hit at all and are just flailing around like a fish out of water. That's kind of like, where are your balls at?"

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7935166/2012-nba-playoffs-los-angeles-lakers-kobe-bryant-cites-injury-risk-drawing-charges

Edited by Makaveli