Rose undergoes knee surgery

Gooner

Bulls guard Derrick Rose underwent knee surgery to repair his torn anterior cruciate ligament Saturday morning at Rush University Medical Center, the Chicago Sun-Times has learned.

Dr. Brian Cole, the Bulls’ team physician, performed the ACL surgery using a graft from Rose’s patellar tendon, a commonly used procedure on young athletes.

A source said there were no complications or surprises during the surgery, which lasted about an hour. “His knee looked great,” the source said. “It’s what you’d expect from a 23-year-old physical specimen.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/12489935-579/derrick-rose-undergoes-knee-surgery.html

I hope he can be back to his MVP caliber form next season.

You should hope he can be back to his MVP caliber play any season, let alone next year. For a guy who's game is so dependent on explosiveness and being able to go 120% all the time, this injury is one of the worst he can suffer.

I'd be shocked if he is even a top 4 point guard next season. It will likely take him at least a year to fully get his complete athleticism back, and who knows if he is going to be able to get back to the same level athletically as he was prior to the injury. This isn't 10-20 years ago when a torn ACL was a borderline career killer, but it is still a very significant injury for an NBA player, especially one who plays like Rose does.

• 4 weeks later...

Gibson believes Rose will be even better than before

Bulls forward Taj Gibson talks about Derrick Rose as he recovers from a torn ACL, as well as his upcoming participation with the USA Select Team and his offseason focus

Despite playing some of his best basketball of the season in the playoffs, Taj Gibson uses words like “hurt” and “pain” when looking back on the Bulls’ first round series, words to which fans in Chicago can certainly relate. But Gibson, speaking at BMO Harris Bank headquarters in downtown Chicago on Thursday, expressed optimism about what lies ahead for the Bulls, choosing words like “positive,” “better” and “opportunity.” For starters, he’s been in touch with Derrick Rose, who underwent surgery to repair his torn ACL on May 12, on several occasions. And he likes what he’s seen, as well as what he’s heard from Derrick himself.

“I’ve seen him at the Berto a lot,” said Gibson, who was on hand to help BMO Harris Bank reach its goal of assembling 2,000 Red Cross comfort kits, of Rose. “He’s been pushing it and I saw him push through a lot of pain early. I look forward to seeing our team take that energy and use it as a positive. Because every day, he’s yelling and he’s screaming from putting in so much effort trying to get his knee back. We need to see how much pain he’s going through and feed off it, put it in our daily lives. I think he’s doing great. I think he’s improving quicker than people have expected him to improve. He’s in there every day and he’s pushing it to the limits every time I see him. I think he’ll come back even better than he was before.”

As for where Gibson believes Rose is at mentally, consistent with what others have gathered, the young point guard’s spirits remain high. While the team put on a good face following Rose’s injury, it was ultimately a challenge that proved too difficult to overcome. But Gibson believes he and his teammates are willing and able to embrace moving forward knowing Rose will likely miss the first few months of the 2012-13 season.

Source