Pop: 'We Reached Our Limit'

Popovich: Unraveled Spurs 'reached our limit'

Posted Jun 7 2012 7:09PM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Injuries weren't a factor for once. Neither was depth. The San Antonio Spurs finally were healthy, and had the supporting talent and even the momentum of a historic winning streak crafted at the perfect time to become NBA champions again. And it still wasn't enough.

"I thought this was definitely our time. Our time to get back to the finals. Our time to push for another championship," Spurs forward Tim Duncan said. "That was our singular goal, and obviously, it ends here."

He meant this season. But it might also be a deeper truth. On Thursday, coach Gregg Popovich passed on speculating what's next after the Duncan era-Spurs possibly saw their championship window close shut -- for real this time. Duncan, who is 36 and now without a contract, has suggested this year that he is leaning toward returning for at least a 16th season, but there are no guarantees. The Spurs were up 2-0 on Oklahoma City and appeared to be a lock for the NBA Finals, before the young and hungry Thunder finished a stunning turnaround Wednesday night to win the Western Conference.

Full Story

:huh:

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'

• Owner

I can't really see the Spurs trading Tim Duncan...just seems like a player that will remain with one franchise for good, but then again, I also thought the same about Hakeem and Ewing. The Spurs are much different, though.

Tony Parker? I don't know. If they want to deal him, though, there's no better time than now. His value is probably at its highest, even though he did have a few poor games against the Thunder (three in a row, I believe)...but maybe they can dangle Parker out there for a nice pick in this upcoming draft.

Same with Manu, really.

You got to look at the age of these guys though. Duncan is 36, Manu 34, and Parker is 30. I know that Timmy is an UFA this season. Do you think for whatever reason they don't bring him back to free up that cap? Trade Manu and Parker for young talent/picks. Could watch the Spurs internally combust this offseason.

• Owner

You got to look at the age of these guys though. Duncan is 36, Manu 34, and Parker is 30. I know that Timmy is an UFA this season. Do you think for whatever reason they don't bring him back to free up that cap? Trade Manu and Parker for young talent/picks. Could watch the Spurs internally combust this offseason.

I would think Duncan signs for much less if he's coming back to San Antonio. He has four rings with this franchise, and I'm sure he would like to retire wearing that jersey.

Trading Manu and Tony for picks...it's something the Spurs would probably consider, especially since their scouting is top-notch. They will more than likely make the best of what they pick up, and the higher the pick, the scarier it gets because...really...when was the last time the Spurs had a lottery pick? It hasn't been since Tim Duncan, in 1997.

Thing is, the 20th pick in the draft, in 2010, is the best pick they have had since Duncan, in regards to number. After that...24th, back in 1998.

I mean, look...they traded for Kawhi Leonard, and he wasn't a lottery pick (close, but 15th), and he can turn into a hell of a defensive player. Some say he's already as good as Bowen was.

Tony Parker can bring them a nice pick. I'm just wondering who all they would be interested in.